S&W J frame questions

sox

Hey all, when did S&W begin making, for the J frames:

1. Frame mounted firingpin
2. Wider front sight
3. Matte finish

I think the answer to #2 is 1990

The 442 was offered in a matte blue 93-96.
The 460 was offered in matte blue in 94.

While we're asking J-frame questions:

The new J-frames are advertised as +P capable (& inferring the older ones aren't.)

What's the story here ? Are the new ones structurally different ? Or just better advertised ?

MY old 60 wasn't +p (1983)rated but I carried them and shot regular loads....a few +Ps shouldn't be a problem...I fired a cylinder full a couple of times for practice...e-mail smith and wesson and they will probably advise the same....i now carry a 442 +P rated but I still can't bring myself to shooting a lot of them....

Yeah, S&W can tell you for sure. A while back I called about the ability of the 37 to take +p and the rep said if it had a -2 or -3 on the inside of the frame under the crane it is so rated. I just can't remember which it was. Also, I had a question about the gun handling the old Winchester Treasury load. They said NO WAY! The little J frames are only rated for about 21,000CUP and those 110gr were dishing out 23,500.

THE U S TREASURY LOADS

FROM WAY BACK WHEN, A 38-110 @ HELLACIOUS SPEEDS [ 1400 FPS IF MEMORY SERVES ] WAS LOADED AT 35,000 PSI. IT DAMAGED A BUNCH OF M10 SMITHS.
MY M640 IS MARKED INSIDE "TESTED FOR +P+".
AND I HAVE AND IT DOES INDEED.

Back