S&W internal safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

What type of internal safety do S&W revolvers have? I know that Rugers' use a transfer bar with an internal firing pin. Smith's look like they have a hammer mounted firing pin.

Thanks

Christopher Nemeth

Hello,sir. S&W has a bar blocking the hammer from forward movement when the hammer's in the forward position. The firing pin is NOT in contact with the primer when forward and the safety keeps it that way until the trigger's fully rearward. Best.

Christopher,

The latest Smith I bought (a month or so ago) has a new firing pin system. This is an N frame--large, if you don't know the designation. This was a new twist, as a pal had bought an N frame just before that which had the traditional hammer mounted pin, whereas mine had a frame mounted one. Presumably, this signals a switch in the entire line to a new firing pin system (?).

My J frame Smith is a few years old and has a frame mounted firing pin--I honestly haven't checked to see if this was always so for the little framed revolvers, but the others (K through N frames) have had hammer mounted pins "forever."

Traditionally, (prior to the Ruger transfer bar system) DA sixguns have had "rebounding hammers" which meant that the hammer didn't rest on or touch the firing pin unless the trigger was fully depressed in the firing mode. This is contrary to the traditional single action design which necessitated the "load one, skip one, load four, cock and lower hammer" routine for the SA's to get the hammer onto an empty chamber.

[If someone can shed some light on the new frame mounted firing pin system, as well as the rear groove on the trigger, I'd personally like to hear about it.]

Yes, I think S&W is going to frame mounted firing pins across the board, but their hammer block stays the same. In the very old (pre-30s) hand ejector revolvers, they depended only on the rebound slide to act as a hammer block. Then they went to a side mounted type in the sideplate which was its own spring and was cammed out of the way by a ramp on the hand. This worked, but was not "positive" in that a broken spring or a sticking safety would effectively mean no safety. Next came their current hammer block safety.

Jim

My S&W K14 6" target has a fairly cheaply made twisted steel hammer block in the shape of a sort of "P".
Are you saying that if this was removed (EG left out on stripping/reassebbly) would/could a blow directly on the hammer-top fire a cartridge?

Some people are leaving it out here to give a "better D/A action".
I worry about the safety considerations even under supervision on the range.

Hi, Big Bunny,

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. S&W also has a rebound slide, but that hammer block is what would stop the firing pin from reaching the primer if the hammer were struck hard enough to distort the hammer or break the hammer pin. This sounds unlikely, but it has happened.

DO NOT REMOVE THE HAMMER BLOCK. I have found that there is no discernable difference in the DA trigger pull with or without the block, and I am a pretty darn good DA shooter.

If you remove the hammer block, and there is an accident, you would be held liable without question. Even if the gun is used in self defense, your removal of a safety device could count against you. So leave that little piece of twisted steel where it belongs.

Jim

BB,

The safety of a DA sixgun can be checked in this regard by keeping your finger off the trigger of an UNLOADED gun (I know you knew that, but I have to say it) and pushing against the hammer. If you can see the firing pin protrude into the frame window (viewing it from the side in the gap between the cylinder and the frame, the blow to the firing pin you describe will cause the pin to touch the primer, possibly igniting it.

Hope this helps.

Rod, I don't know of any modern DA revolver which will allow a push on the hammer to force the firing pin against the primer. Even the older guns have a rebound slide or lever to prevent that. But the more positive safety devices, like that on the S&Ws or the Colts are designed to prevent firing even if there is a severe blow on the hammer. Further, transfer bar safeties, like those on the Rugers simply cannot allow firing unless the bar is raised by pulling the trigger.

If you have an old DA revolver which will act as you describe, it is either broken or should be worth $100 in the next gun turn in.

Jim

Jim,

You are correct. I was speaking to Big Bunny of a simple test to see if a modified revolver has been rendered unsafe by alteration. A DA sixgun should NOT operate in that fashion. Please read Big Bunny's post and mine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back