S&W id and value help needed

FlyinGN

My father in law has a S&W wheelgun that he is not sure the model so I asked him for pics and specs. I hope someone can help me id it and its aprox. trade in value to a gun shop in PA. Its a stainless, 38 special, pinned barrel, adjustable sights. I believe that its an old Philadelphia Police sidearm. Can anyone tell me th eyear too. Heres the pics.

Thanks! Frank
s%26w1.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Last edited:
Your picture sites come up "forbidden"!
Just a wild guess, but if it's a 38 and not a 357, it could be a model 67 Combat Masterpiece. Pinned barrel would make it a pre-1982. Trade-in value would depend on the gun being traded for. Value in exc. condition would be around $275.00, give or take.

Open the cylinder and look at the frame cut out just under the barrel, should be a model number and a serial number on the part covered by the crane when the gun is closed. Post the model number and the serial number with x for each of the last three digets. Gives us a lot more to work with.

Interesting, possible 67 square butt with pinned barrel and red ramp front.

Sam

ok Sam here is the info..
Its a model 67. Now im not sure if it is a pinned barrel.. How can I tell?
The serial # is AEZ4xxx. What else can ya tell me about it?

Is the red ramp rare in this model?

Thanks! Frank

Judging by the picture, it's not a pinned barrel.

The pin appears in the top front part of the frame just above where the barrel enters the frame.

Since your gun doesn't have it, and given the serial number, it was manufactured post 1983.

The red ramp is not rare on this gun.

I was tyin the pinned barrel and red ramp together and coming up with not rare but unusual combination. Couldn't see pin in pic but figured cause couldn't see pic well. Since the number puts it post 82, my line of thinkin erased. Stopped pinin the barrels in 82. Red insert sight common on 67. Was thinkin 65 which didn't have red available till later.

Mike took his time and got it right.:)

Sam

Don't be too hasty, Sam.

I haven't checked the serial number for actual date yet, but I'm betting that number is mid-1980s, probably 85 or 86.

Ok, judging by serial number, your gun was made sometime between January 1984 and January 1985, or just after pinning the barrel was stopped.

There should be a -1 stamped after the 67 in the crane cut.

The red ramp is listed as pretty standard feature.

Back