S&W Highway Patrolman-"S" serial number.

Calfed

I've always wanted a 3.5" model 27, but they have gotten so dad gummed expensive, I glommed this 4" model 28 instead.

Because of California's crazy handgun laws, pre-lock revolvers must be C&R or an in-state private party purchase to be available in Cali. This one is a C&R.

The finish looks decent, grips seem solid and it should be a good shooter.

Vv5Appy.jpg

ArMPSO3.jpg

yQU9VfX.jpg

Qz7oZs5.jpg

dWtQCVl.jpg

I picked up a model 28 about a year ago, I hope you are as pleased with yours as I have been with the one I have.

Now we need a range report.

Looks nice. No, it's not a 27 but it's a perfectly good revolver.

You are right about the absurd CA gun laws. I grew up there but fled in 1992 as the onerous laws really started piling up.

That is a beauty I'd be proud to own. I bought a new 4" 28 many years ago, but foolishly traded it on some forgotten, probably shiny, thing long ago. I've owned a couple 27s, but think the 28s are their equal in every way, other than the plainer finish. Enjoy, and hang on to that 28. Clean ones like yours do not come along every day.

S&W always said that the Model 28 differed from the Model 27 only in cosmetics; I have owned both and agree.

Jim

I always hear everyone else in the world say the 27 and 28 feel the same and only difference is cosmetics but the 27 action feels lighter and smoother to me and I always assumed they spent just a little more time fitting the internals on the more deluxe model but maybe I'm wrong and I only think the 27 is better.

Whatever...

Nice finish

Blueing looks pretty good for a 28. I owned one in the early eighties and the finish was almost matte. Great gun though. Wish I could own one now!

The model 27 was a flagship piece, the direct descendant of the Registered Magnum. The model 28 Highway Patrolman was essentially the same gun, with a "lesser" finish, (and lower cost) intended for police use.

Maybe the guys on the production line spent a little more time fitting the model 27 internals, but if they did, S&W never claimed they did.

Essentially, the differences between the two are these,
Finish: Model 27 has the S&W high luster blue. 27s could also be had in nickel finish. Model 28s came in "satin blue" ONLY*.

Grips: 28s came only with the standard "magna" grips (the smaller ones), 27s had the larger target grips, or the magna grips, depending on customer preference.

Barrels: 28s were offered in only two lengths, 4" & 6". 27s came in a variety of lengths.

Sights: 28s had plain black (standard service) sights. 27s had red ramp front, and white outline rear sights.

The 27 topstrap is grooved, to reduce glare. The 28 has the same area "bead blasted" to a flat finish.

Hammer & trigger: The 27 came with the wide "Target" hammer & trigger, the 28 came with the standard "service" (narrower than target) hammer & trigger.

Some versions of the 27 came with the wood presentation case, 28s never did.

(* according to some sources, there were a very small number (perhaps 5) model 28s factory nickel finish made for test by the Miami PD. If you find a nickel plated model 28 today, odds are 99.9% it was done aftermarket.)

Personally, I prefer the 6" model 28. I like the look of the satin blue better than the high luster blue, and my favorite has the wide target hammer & trigger fitted to it. (up through the 70s, and early 80s I think, S&W sold target hammer & trigger sets in blister packs, which could be fitted by any authorized S&W repair station, such as a local gunsmith). Sadly, they stopped doing that, and stopped selling barrels and cylinders as well, some time ago.

Nice 4" you got there. Enjoy!

.357 Mag is my favorite caliber in revolvers...and the N frames are very special to me.

I have a 27-2 4" Nickel...that I really love ..and shoot a lot / but there is nothing wrong with a good model 28. I have a model 28-2 in a 4" as well...with a lot of holster wear but its a solid gun.

Its not really rational, but I don't care for the 27's or 28's in a 6".
( I do like the 5" in a model 27 ...but I do not have one ).

https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74907&d=1319646515

My 27-2 4" Nickel...

I have a 28 bought it years ago from a LEO when his PD was switching to 9mm
I love it shoots great, had many offers for it but I won't get rid of it. Never to be able to replace it for I paid.

I have both a 4" and a 6" Model 28.

I really think that the 4 is is probably my second favorite revolver of all time, right behind the 4" Model 19.

The 6 inch is nice, but I've been considering selling it...

I have a 4 inch model 28. It has the "lazy" ampersand on it (like the one pictured in op, maybe they all did???). It is my fav 4" 357 mag. I also have a 8 3/8" model 27; it too has a "lazy" ampersand and has the trigger guard screw. Both awesome revolvers obviously.

Minor corrections to 44 AMP's post.

The top strap and barrel rib on the Model 27, and it's predecessor the "357 Magnum", are checkered, not grooved.

And, many M-27s and pre-27s came with black front and rear sights. I just purchased a 3.5" 357 Magnum made in either 1953 or 1954 and it has plane blue steel sights, front and rear.

Getting back on topic, my first duty weapon when I went to the academy in Aug '73 was a 4" Model 28. We had to purchase our own weapons and I wanted either a 3.5" or 5" M-27 but the department told me I had to have a 4" revolver. I carried the M-28 through out my probationary year, then switched to a Government Model Colt.

Dave

Last edited:
Back