S&W Highway Patrol .38?

Adventurer_96

About a year and a half ago I traded a 6" bbl .38 S&W which had been used for years as a target pistol in the New England Police Revolver league. Not knowing too much about Smith models and such, the only thing I am fairly sure of is that it was listed as a "Highway Patrol" model when I bought it on the paperwork.

It had adjustable sights, and target-type grips with a thumbrest that were obvious add-ons. However, it shot like a dream, and the only thing that made its loss a bit easier to deal with is the nice Winchester Model 94 I got in return.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm describing? Would the serial number tell me anything more about this revolver, since I have that on file as well. With any luck the fellow I sold it to may be able to help me, but when I called he couldn't remember what happened to it.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

If it was stainless, could be a model 68, mfg in 1976 only; called "California Highway Patrol Model Stainless". Chambered for .38 spec. Target K frame. Adjustable sights.

Thanks to Roy Jinks.

Sam

It had a nice blue on it, I'd say VG. I'm fairly sure it dated from the 1940's or 1950's or so only because a guy I shot it with had shot with the previous owner in the aforementioned Revolver league.

Thanks, though, it sounds like I asked the right folks!

Model 28 - Highway Patrolman

The only revolver S&W made that was marked with "Highway Patrolman" stamped on it was the Model 28, which is blue, but is chambered in .357 mag.
According to the Standard Catalog, the Model 68 is called the California Highway Patrol, but the piece is not marked as such. The only markings on them were the letters "CHP" on the frame just above the trigger, many of which were overstamped as "OHB" when they were released through distribution. The only Model 68's that had unusual markings were the Commemorative CHP versions, and the Los Angeles Police Department version, which is marked on the barrel.
I'd say the revolver you were shooting must have been the Model 28.
Just a guess.
.......SmithNut

Smith Nut...you probably nailed it. Could easy be that it was .357 but everybody shot .38 in it so much that that was what was remembered. Thus could go back to 1954.

Sam

IIRC, the M28 (and pre-1957 version) was called the "Highway PatrolMAN". They are indeed sweet shooters.

The only place that the "Highway Patrol" was written was on the paperwork from the dealer, it actually wasn't on the gun. It was marked .38, not .357 though, but unless a miracle happens and the "new" owner knows where it's at, I guess I'm destined to keep looking.

Thanks

Back