S&W Governor: Niche or Practical?

Jacket67

Hey TFL,

I know this gun doesn't have the highest praises as a revolver given the many other great models out there. I completely understand that shooting .410 out of it doesn't have any real value, even with some of the specialty loads for it. I love revolvers, and really like the idea of this one because of its size and ability to shoot both .45 acp and .45 long colt. The idea of being able to shoot both rounds is appealing to me in a similar way to having a .357 to shoot both that and .38 special. I'm looking at it as an option for a backup hunting gun and camping gun due to the calibers it shoots, and the gun's smaller size. I know its weight is right around 30 oz, making it heaver than pretty much all of the compact .45 acp semi autos I've looked at for this purpose, but it has the addition of firing .45 lc. Is this gun a viable option for a backup hunting gun, or does it just fulfill a niche?

Thanks in advance.

This will start another flame war pretty soon. All I can say is that the majority of professional opinions don't think much of the concept. Why would firing 45 LC add anything to the outdoor mix? Going to have two types of ammo with you?

Light the fires now.

I wouldn't want to be shot by 3 or 4 000 buck pellets because it would probably kill me, but I think you'll find that most of the guys here that say the .410 revolvers are weak stoppers are sexagenarians who are more jacked than Schwarzenegger in the Conan movies and were they ever shot with .410 buckshot, the pellets would bounce off of them.

Your premise is wrong, in that the gun and the Judge serve primarily to shoot .410, take it or leave it. Forget 45 ACP except as cheaper to shoot than 45 Colt, the real revolver cartridge.

Because of the .410 shell length cylinder, although the shorter 2 3/4", the gun is far from "small".

Moonclips man, moonclips! Governor uses the standard .45 acp Smith moonclips, and reloads fast. I don't see where the governor is anymore ungainly than a S&W 1955.

Moonclips is a popular concept, but a Governor is not what one wants to be carrying when in a need of a fast reload. Get a real revolver or some other primary gun with more capacity. A Judge is a better gun, because it knows its place in life.

It's a Governor, not an Ishtapore Enfield. It wasn't raised in a firearm caste system. I'll report it to the Gautama of guns immediately!

Last edited:
I can't claim to have a lot of experience with the Governor, but IMHO, it is a lot heftier and more awkward than an N frame.

Jim

So called professionals my pituie

I have owned and shot the governor and it is very accurate with federal 0000 buck, even at 30 yards. Mine shot 45 Colt very well and even 45 acp. The moon clips are wonders in this gun. You can mix and match all three rounds in the same cylinder. Here is a video showing how good with federal 0000. https://youtu.be/m85Mr_XTiPI

Steve

A fellow club member has one and I have shot .45 colt out of it and it is accurate at 50ft and 25 yards. Would I choose it over my n frame smith revolvers in .45 acp? Not a chance. It is quite large but light due to the alloy construction. There is nothing wrong with them but I don'wt ever see owning one. If you want to shoot .45 Colt gaet a different revolver dedicated to that caliber.

S&W Governor: Niche or Practical?

Both, for those folks whose intent with the firearm fits within that niche.
Funny even tho some folks want to claim,

All I can say is that the majority of professional opinions don't think much of the concept.

........S&W only picked up the concept because of the popularity of the Taurus Judge.

Whether a novelty or a firearm intended for a specific purpose/scenario, the fact that they are still being produced and sold is all the evidence one needs to see they are a popular format/platform for the general public, so called "professional opinions" be damned.:rolleyes:

I don't own a Judge/Governor, never have, probably never will. There's too many other firearms out there that I would like to have before one. But I don't have a problem shooting someone else's nor do I feel a desire to dis them because they own one. Funny how so many times on these types of forums folks tell others that the only reason they need to own/buy a firearm is because they want it. Then in the next words outta their mouth they tell those same folks, it's not worth buying, because they themselves don't like it.

If a company or two suckers folks with the magic stopping power of the 410 round (Taurus' blather), and folks want to buy it - go ahead.

It's like those commercials for crap herbal supplements to cure cancer or Alzheimer's that you see on the tube or in magazines. Yeah, they are the best choice - :rolleyes:

Works for me

It appears a lot of folks bashing the Governor don't actually own one, but I could be wrong.

I own one, and I carry it a lot - but at my ranch.

I have coyotes, snakes, destructive squirrels, rabid skunks and raccoons, feral dogs, feral cats, hogs, wounded deer, a very rarely seen mountain lion, and the occasional miniature donkey who escapes his domain and wanders on to my property and chases my dogs (donkeys hate coyotes - and dogs).

Before the Governor came along, I used to carry a Thompson Contender 45 long colt, bored out for a 410 shell. But it is long, relatively heavy, and of course is a single shot.

I looked long and hard at the Taurus, but couldn't convince myself I needed one. Once the Governor was available for sale, I snatched one up and now carry it in an El Paso Saddlery shoulder holster, loaded with 45 long colt, and 410 shells (some #12 shot, #4 shot, and one 00buck) in a shellholder on the strap. I also have a 45 acp moon clip in my pocket for insurance. That said, I also sometimes carry a Glock or 1911 or an N-frame on my hip as well.

This combination works very well for me while doing my chores or "patrolling" the property. It can take care of any problem I have. So far I have only shot one rattlesnake, one coral snake, two skunks, and many squirrels (all with 410 shells). Plus, I would rather dispatch a snake or a rabid animal with a gun instead of a shovel. But the hand-loaded long colt rounds can take care of the rest should the situation present itself.

The gun is not heavy. The tritium front sight is bright for low light shooting. It is accurate enough.

Gimmick? I don't care. I won't sell it, and it works for me.

Hard to argue with that. Niche guns work for some folks. When I lived in the woods I had an H&R single shot 12 gauge tucked away in the garage for several of the reasons you described.

Back