S&W Front Sight

trjake

I have a few older N-frames with red insert on front sight and rear white outline. I want to go with solid black on both. I can change out the rear sight easy enough, but the front sight is not so easily done since it is not pinned as the newer models are. Any suggestions, other than sight black?

you don't mention which models you have and how old is "older". unless you're talking much further back then i can remember, smith front sights, on their adjustable sighted models, are pinned in...they were finish polished after the front blade was installed. its sorta like colt hammer mounted firing pins...you can't see the pivot pin for the firing pin because its polished with the side of the hammer.

You could dig out the coloured insert and paint the sight black--I have done that,and got a reasonable sight picture.Otherwise get your local gunsmith to fit a new Patridge.

If you are slick, you can dremel out the old insert and cast a new one in place with black epoxy. You will need some thin metal casting forms like some old feeler gauges or what have you. You can finish it with a flat file.

Someplace I saw a kit for sale that did it much like I described.

Thanks for the advice. The N-frames in question are a Mod 29-2 and 25-5. I looked more closely at the respective front sights with a magnifying glass and the Mod 29-2 is indeed pinned, while the 25-5 appears to be a solid unit. I'll fix the 29 front sight by changing out the blade, and then see what I can do on the 25.

Back