S&W Frames

Lionheart

I'm wondering how much difference there is in the various S&W frames. J, K, L, N ... any others? Are we just talking heft or are their other details? Were these just chronological changes, or waht?
And if anybody could recommend a book or where to find any such details, I'd appreciate it. The S&W website gives some history, but doesn't get into much detail on the frames. Maybe there just isn't all that much detail to get into.

There's a book called The Smith & Wesson Handbook, I believe, by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. Mike Irwin knows much more about these matters than I, but from what I understand the "J" frame is the lightest and corresponds to the smallest of S&W current production revos (642, etc.). The "K" frame is a medium one corresponding to the mid-size revos (19, etc.). The "L" frame is basically a beefed up "K" frame to handle full up .357 loads (586, 686, etc). And the "N" frame is for the large revos in .357 or .44 mag (27, 29, 629, etc).

PKay,
Thanks. Mike Irwin reviewed the Supica/Nahas book on Amazon.com and recommends it. Other reviewers praise it too.
Thanks again.

CR,
Just what I was looking for. You folks are great!
I'll echo the sentiments of someone on one of the threads you provided and say:
"Boy, am I glad I discovered this site."

There was also an "I" frame, shorter than the J frame. The I frame was lengthened so that it could hadle the 38 special, thus the J frame was born.

Actually the I frame is quite a bit smaller than the J frame in ALL dimensions. Nearly 20% smaller and in my I frame 32 S&W long vs My Model 36 in .38 special....a 20% weight difference when loaded. The I frame......32 hand ejector model of 1903 holds six rounds to boot. Makes a great ankle gun. My I frame with 4¼" barrel is smaller than my 36 J frame with 3" barrel.

Then there is the M frame. Even smaller than the I frame. The M frame was chambered in the .22 S&W Long.....which was a .22 long rifle with a special crimp for use in revolvers. Hence some confusion in later reference books...some say it is chambered for .22 long rifle and others say it is chambered for the .22 Long. Modern .22 long rifle is the right case length for them but of course they will also shoot the longs and shorts.

So there....Sam

The I frame was also used in the 22/32 Kit gun, a 5-shot .38 S&W caliber revolver called the Terrier and in the .32 Regulation Police. The M frame guns (3 types) are commonly known as the Ladysmith (not to be confused with recent revolvers and auto pistols which are marked with that name).

Jim

Back