S&W For Sale

loknload

Well folks, Headlines in this mornings paper. Smith and Wesson may be for sale.
Heres our big chance. We should all pursue the NRA to purchase. With all our membership money they urinate away with their wasteful mailings, they could afford to do so. We as members would be all stock holders. I think it could work, The NRA could become a self suffiecient organization. We as stock holders could get free or discounted guns in lieu of stock or stock dividends.
Sounds like a good idea to me, I'll vote for it. I would like to shove that one under the antis noses.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited January 04, 2000).]

Neil, It was in the morning Reading PA Times
I believe it was also in the USA Today yesterday. At this point I don't believe it is activly being marketed. One article says it is another says it isn't. I'm sure something will develope in the near future.
This is the problem when foreign money is invested into American business. If it does go on the block I would really like to see someone progun purchase it.I would hate to see another American Icon bite the dust due to Corporate downsizing and the Anti-Gun movement.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20000103/aponline184332_000.htm

Sale Looms for Smith & Wesson
By Jeff Donn
Associated Press Writer
Monday, Jan. 3, 2000; 6:43 p.m. EST

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. –– With the gun industry itself under fire, Smith & Wesson, maker of the .44-caliber Magnum carried by Dirty Harry, may soon be up for sale.

The nation's largest gunmaker has not yet engaged a buyer, but its parent company is shifting aim away from the firearms business, Smith & Wesson spokesman Ken Jorgensen said Monday.

The company is battling a series of municipal lawsuits blaming Smith & Wesson and others for gun violence. Smith & Wesson has been cleared in every lawsuit decided so far, but other cases remain before the courts.

Sally Slovenski, a gun control advocate at Boston-based Join Together, said the lawsuits are making life more complicated for gunmakers.

"Quite a few of the gun companies are starting to change perspective," she said. Some "are starting to broaden the variety of their manufactured goods."

A British newspaper, the Mail on Sunday, quoted an unidentified source as saying that Smith & Wesson is being put up for sale by its owner, the English conglomerate Tomkins PLC. The newspaper suggested the sale could take in more than $160 million.

Jorgensen said that Tomkins, which acquired Smith & Wesson in 1987, is refocusing on building and automotive products.

"They're going to divest themselves of companies that don't fit into that when they have an opportunity, but there's nothing ongoing with Smith & Wesson at this time," he said.

He described Smith & Wesson's sales during the past year as strong, but declined to give details.

In addition to handguns, Springfield-based Smith & Wesson makes bicycles and a range of computer software for law enforcement agencies. It also does specialized metal working for more than 300 other companies.

Smith & Wesson developed the first gun of its Magnum line in 1935, and the powerful and physically imposing .44 became an icon in the Dirty Harry movies of the 1970s and '80s starring Clint Eastwood.

In the 1983 movie "Sudden Impact," Eastwood tells a villain, "Well, we're not just going to let you walk out of here." Asked what he meant by "we," Eastwood replied, "Smith and Wesson and me."

The nation's oldest handgun maker at 147 years, Smith & Wesson employs about 750 workers in Springfield.

Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson founded the company in 1852 to develop a gun that could shoot self-contained cartridges, avoiding the need for loose gunpowder, balls and primer.

Smith & Wesson is also known historically for its widely used six-shot revolvers and weapons that were once standard sidearms for U.S. soldiers.

© Copyright 2000 The Associated Press

Chris Stark (Texas GOA) said he got a note from S&W CEO that the sale is a rumor. Who knows.

Joefo

The story was in the Financial Times of London. I read about the holding company and they are trying to get rid of lot of different things as they are in bad shape.

As far CEOs, they might not want to risk bad PR. Stock prices and the like, boycotts.

I once asked SW if they were going to make
gun XYZ. They said: No. Then it came out.

Saying it is a rumour doesn't mean it's not
a true rumour. Kind of like the paranoid,
they still be after you.

Back