S&W factory L-frame round butt hardwoods?

• Thread starter Thread starter m3bullet
  • Start date Start date
M

m3bullet

Did S&W ever supply any factory, hardwood grips (e.g. Goncalo Alves with S&W medallions) for their round-butt, L-frame revolvers?

I'm looking to replace the Hogue rubber grips of my two year old, 4" 686+ and would like some factory originals.

Yes, they did... and BTW, the L frame has the same grip frame dimensions as the K frame, so any of those grips should also fit.

FWIW

Like 9X19 said.....L n K frame same grips. I have had em in several styles of wrap around as well as thin checkerd flat slabs from the factory. So now we not only have to put up with their politics, we get 5 bucks worth of Uncle Mikes rubber thingys on the handle. Sigh.

Sam

I'll have to keep looking, as I'd like to find something similar to the S&W target stocks in Goncalo Alves that fit the round butt L-frame. I see a number of K/L frame target stocks on the auction sites for the square butts, but no round butts.

Yeah Sam, the rubber Hogues are just too narrow and squishy for my liking. I prefer the firm, palm-filling feeling of a good target stock.

Thanks guys, I may try a post over in the TFL Gunshow BS&T section for either a trade or WTB.

Yes they did make them, I have a set of finger grooved walnut grips on my 2.5" 686 with the silver medalions. Check around at large guns shows, I've seen them laying on dealers tables in the past.

7th

686-3 versus 686-5 round-butt differences?

Flip, I missed out in the bidding for those finger groove grips. The winning bidder really wanted them.

Dfariswheel, thanks for the lead. I see Gun Parts lists a possible grip solution:

Smith & Wesson Model 10-10, 686-3 Stocks, Round Butt, Target, Checkered Gon Alv Item# 315200B

I have the round-butt Model 686-5. Would there be any difference between the -3 and -5 versions with respect to fitting grips? I'm waiting on an answer from Gun Parts, but would appreciate feedback from list members. What's the probability the round-butt grips listed for the 686-3 will fit the 686-5?

Here's the pic of my 686-4 with its finger grooved walnut grips.
smith%20&%20wesson686.jpg

7th

Your dark finger groove grips would be REAL NICE!!!

Nice grips, 7th Fleet. Do you know where I can get a ones for my 686-5???

All modern "K" frame and "L" frame S&W's have the same size grip frame. All grips are interchangeable.

The newest S&W's all use a round butt frame. Square butt type guns have a special grip that converts the round butt to a square butt type grip. Underneath the grip they all have the round butt.

Gun Parts is probably THE biggest S&W parts distributator. Check out their web site or catalog. They will have the smooth, finger groove, round butt grips. Allmost all S&W grips are Goncalvo Alves wood.

As I said, Gil Hebard in Illinios also sell factory-new S&W grips, but Gun Parts may be cheaper.

The grips you listed from Gun Parts will fit just fine, and are the grips S&W fitted to all later round butt snubby revolvers, like the 686.

The ugliest handguns stocks I've ever seen in my life came on my model 66. Smooth green laminated sliver panels. YUCK!! Simply had to have the gun, simply had to ditch the grips.

Back