S&W extractor rod shooting loose.

Powermwt

1958 Model 17 .22 with a left hand threaded extractor rod.

I've tightened this otherwise great revolver many times and stopped shooting it for about 10 years due to the problem, but finally brought it back out, made sure it was tight and ran a box of 50 thru it.

The rod loosened up... not to the point the cylinder would not open, but close.

I know they make special tools for tightening and seen discussion on use Loktite vs no way you should use it.

Should I just figure on retightening every 50 rounds or is there a real fix? Why doesn't S&W want you to use thread sealant and others caution not to use it?

I bought a model 13 that the rod had backed out and tied up the gun. When I finally got it open I just removed the rod, cleaned it with alcohol and put blue lock-tite on it and never had another problem with it.

Not sure why people just tell you a "color" of Loctite, (and often get it wrong), and don't include the number grade. Loctite makes a LOT of sealants, of all kinds ranging from low strength to permanent.

I recommend a product named "GUNTITE". Not sure if its a Loctite product or not, but it is specifically made for gun threads, holds very well, and they can be unscrewed without heat, just the proper tool. I bought a small tube many years ago and haven't even used half..

De-grease the threads (clean with alcohol or some solvent that removes all oil)
use one small drop of Guntite, screw it together and leave it alone until the next day. Your rod won't unscrew during shooting, ever again, if my decades of experience with it is any guide. ;)

Kind of funny about Loctite... my son gave me a tube that is red with blue markings that says BLUE 242 removable.

Now is this the correct product?

Maybe I will just order a tube of Guntite as I can see it is the right stuff!

Thanks for helping out guys!

Blue 242 is about the same as guntite. A drop is all you need. 222 is generally better for gun use, but 242 is fine.

Blue 242 has failed twice on the little set screw for the thumb piece on my LCR. The third time it got a heavier dose (the Ruger tech prefers none, or a very little bit), but I haven't shot it since then.

Last edited:
I had this problem with my 686 3" (2013 model - my other two 686's from 1984 & '86 remain tight). My gut told me it was a left-hand thread, and I was right. Perhaps I read it somewhere and remembered it only subconsciously.

I just removed the rod, cleaned it with alcohol and put blue lock-tite on it and never had another problem with it.

This ^^ +2. Specifically, I used Blue 242. It's held tight ever since - about two years now.

Back