S&W date of mfg based on serial#

GrandmasterB

Is there a list or online resource that will tell me the date of manufacture for S&W revolvers, based on serial#?

I'm looking at buying a used 686, but want to make sure it is an older model, without the new firing pin stuff and the MIM parts.

Thanks!!

I don't know of any reference sites on the web but if you'll post the serial # on Harley Nolden's forum someone will give you a manuf date.

>>I'm looking at buying a used 686, but want to make sure it
>>is an older model, without the new firing pin stuff and the MIM
>>parts.

GrandmasterB, I don't think you have to go as far as serial #s to avoid buying "the new firing pin stuff..." The model number and its rev number should be enough. For example my 686 is a "686-5". Mine does have the new stuff but is still pre-agreement. A model of 686-4 or below should get you what you want, although I don't have a listing of the revs.

My revolver is just as good as my older Smiths, IMO.

justinr1

Get a copy of"Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica and Nahas from Krause publications...it has a complete breakdown of all the guns ever made, numerical model designations with dash numbers and when they were made. The 686 first came out in 1980, 686-1 in 1986,686-2 in 1987, 686-3 in 1988, 686-4 in 1994.

Back