S&W Custom Shop and MIM Parts?

Kentucky Rifle

I picked up a new S&W catalog at my gun shop so I would be clear on the posts that have model numbers in them. In the back, it had a page on the Custom Shop. If MIM parts are so great, why is the first thing offered an exchange for carbon steel parts? I remember reading in a gun rag (grain of salt, I know) that MIM parts have 98% of the carbon steel strenth.

Thanks,
KR

The whole reason for replacing the trigger is because they put a trigger-stop in place. You can't do that on the MIM part because the rear of it is hollow, and there's not enough meat there to drill and tap for the stop-screw. I know, I've had it done to a couple of my MIM guns.

I find it real hard to believe that they would replace the HAMMER, regardless of what the site says. Think about it for a moment. The MIM hammer is installed in guns with frame-mounted pins. If you put an old hammer in the gun, you'd have to grind down the hammer-nose to the flat profile of the existing hammer, or remove it entirely. Of course, this would leave a gaping notch and hole where the nose used to fit. Either way, the appearance would be awfully unsightly

The hammer is one of the things they said they could replace.

I just figured that they had milled some hammers with the correct profile. (Like they should have done in the first place!)

KR

I guess it would be too much for them to put a window in the frame for the old style trigger stop. Screwed to frame and not trigger.

Maby someday they will get out from under that agreement and I can again try a new one.

Sam

Back