S&W Airweight Ti, Opinions, Comments?

Chris D

Hi All,

I'm a few days away from purchasing one and I wanted to here from anyone who has one or has shot one. I want both the good and the bad

I love the size and weight of it and I know the recoil will be pretty stout w/+P's. But as a carry piece it seems ideal. It will replace my Glock 27 80% of the time.

Thanks,

Chris

I have the TAurus model 85 UL multialloy ti, which I like very much. It is ported, which results in the recoil being very manageable. It will handle the corbon 38-special +p loads fine. They also have a police model now which has no hammer.

It is a little less expensive that the airweight.

I, too, have a S&W 642 and I'm quite satisfied with it. The gun is accurate, the recoil isn't a big deal (but I haven't tried +P loads in it; I'm not sure if I will), and it's light and concealable. Because of the aluminum alloy frame I'll probably not shoot it as often as my other guns; maybe I'm being too cautious, but so be it. You probably won't have that concern with a titanium gun, I think.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

You are wise to get a pocket snubbie to replace the fat-butted, hefty G27 (which I also have and love). Every ounce of metal on you makes a difference. The all steel snubbies are too heavy to slip into a pocket, which is their proper place, IMO.

If the dollars are not a problem, get the Ti S&W. Otherwise get the aluminum S&W. Stick with S&W for revolvers, they know their stuff. BTW, the centennial (hammerless) model is the best for concealed carry compared to the hammer-type snubbies. HTH

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

[This message has been edited by BigG (edited December 14, 1999).]

I have the smith 342. It is a wonderful carry gun and is my constant companion. However, the recoil is harsh, buy hey that's life. :) The only negative I can offer is the recoil. Everything else is positive.

Best of luck.

------------------
It's not paranoia, they really are out to get me.

I've owned a 442 now for a few years. A great pocket/back-up gun and it's one I'll never let go of. I shoot 158gr LSWCHP +P occasionally, but 95% of practice is with wadcutters or 158gr RNL.

Although I've looked at the titanium Smith's I haven't personally had the urge to trade off my 442 for an approx 3oz weight advantage and the inability to shoot lead +P loads.

Mike

This is a piece I wrote for another forum, folks - I'll share with you. I might have posted it before.

Yesterday, I had the time to try out a 342 vs my own dear 642. The 342 was a rental gun at the local range and had the same
Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips as my 642.

As my 642 is a gun I carry a good amount of the time, I was interested in how the lighter 342 functioned and felt.

The test was:

First a warm up of 20 Winchester White Box FMJ from each, 5 from each gun in an alternation.

Then I fired 20 Federal PDA HydraShoks from each.
The reason for this ammo choice was:
1. I had a bit that I got on sale
2. It is a common self-defense round
3. +P rounds are expensive and firing snubbies are painful enough without the +P.

In alternating, sequences of 5 rounds, I fired 10 rounds at 4 yards, 5 rounds at 7 yards and 5 at 15 yards. The target was a small silhouette (used by the GA state police). Largest dimension was about 1.5 ft from hand to hand.

My impressions:

Weight - both guns are light as guns go.
The 342 is noticeably lighter. I carry the
642 as a pocket gun. I don't find it uncomfortable. Sometimes, I notice the weight but usually I don't. Since the range would probably not like it if I put their gun in my pocket, I didn't. However, I have carried my 317 in my pocket and it is totally unnoticeable to me.

A 640 is not comfortable to me for pocket carry. It's too heavy.

Conclusion: Some advantage to the 342 but not overwhelming.

Accuracy:

Caveat - all were shot with my right hand, one handed. I 'm left handed and my left hand is still screwed up from an accident in the summer. So no two handed grip. Also, shooting cross dominance. (note: broke my left wrist in August - it's still screwed)

The guns were basically equivalent. At 4 yards, one can shoot touching groups (except for a flier due to gravitational distortion and UFOs).

At 7 yards, all rounds were in a fist sized group. At 15 yards, I was kind of crappy with a six inch / 8 inch group. All would have been in the target though.

No advantage to either gun

Recoil:

I used to think the 642 was stiff but the 342 gives you a sock with a nuance of pain. The 642 pounds your hand hard but it doesn't give me sharp pain. After 50 rounds, my hand is sore. However, with the 342, a fired round can give me an ouch experience. I could definitely feel the trigger trying to dig a hole in my finger. I flashed back to a guy shooting a SW 41 mag at LFI-1and, it eating up his fingers to the raw flesh.

You might not notice it in the heat of an incident but practice would be a pain. In a way it was a good experience as now I regard my 642 as more of a pussycat.

I imagine a +P round would be nasty but I didn't try them. The mild PDA was nasty enough for me.

Trigger: This might not be a fair comparison as the 342 was a range gun and my 642 has been shot for several years but I found the 342 trigger a touch gritty and stagy. One cannot generalize from one
sample.

Conclusion: I see no reason to trade in my 642 for a 342. The lighter weight doesn't give me that much in comfort. The recoil disadvantage was not to my taste. If I was buying a J frame new - maybe for the slight weight difference - but probably not. I would be interested in shooting the 32 version but I don't want to launch into the stopping power debate.

If I was buying a specific gun for ankle carry - maybe. Since I don't carry that way, I really can't judge.

The 342 isn't a bad gun. In fact, it's pretty neat. It's not a newbie gun. If someone buys it and gets +p rounds after reading a gun mag - they are going to surprised if they try it. You need some experience to deal with it.

The range dude told me of a guy who bought one with the wood grips without trying one. The guy is not a shooter - Ouch.

The lightweight construction works really well for my 317 as I can drop it into my pocket with some snake shot and hi-velocity 22 LR when I go out in the field - but I also have rifle or shotgun.

bye

Glenn

ditto on the kudos on the 642: it's the one most likely to be within reach at the keyboard, on the bedstand, in a pocket. Most gun enthusiasts prefer something else yet end up with the airweight snubby also. I would grab my hi-cap 40 if I had to go to a pistol fight, with spare 15 rd mags. But as I step out the door without a holster on, I pocket the snubby almost without thought. Try some +p for the practice, but lighter loads are more pleasant. I'm considering adding a Clip-draw attachment next.

------------------

Chris D , I like the mini-Glocks and the Smith 442 & 642's but why do you want to substitute the J-frame for the G27?

Mine's the S&W 296, the big .44 spl snubby. I didn't know at first if I'd like it, as recoil is not a friend of mine, I'm a 9mm kind of guy.

Firing my friend's reloads(which turned out to be a little warm)with the factory grip was pretty tough on the hands, but after a few sessions with factory Gold Dot ammo and a different Pachmayer grip I think she's a keeper.

The absolute best thing is the weight, you just forget it's there. Accuracy is on par with other snubbies I've carried, and the trigger on mine is nice and smooth all the way back.

No complaints with mine. Well, maybe one, nobody makes a speedloader for this particular pistol yet, but they do for all the J-frame models. The 296 is a 5-shot L-frame, sort of an oddball. I like it, though.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Shmacky,

The reason is size and weight. My bigest problem is how I dress i.e. shirts tucked in with a pair of jeans. Not the best for concealment. And I dont want to dress around a gun. The Glock is great, but I need something light to toss in a front pocket or a jacket pocket. Plus IWB holsterless (aka Mexican carry). The glock is just a bit to big and my NAA Gaurdian is a bit to small (caliber).

To the rest,

I want to thank you for all your oppinions. As I already knew recoil was its downfall, but it's worth the weight tradeoff.

I guess when I come back from Skiing this weekend it's off to buy one! Unless someone has something bad to say about it, and I'm listning.

I may consiter an aluminum one, if I can find an inexpensive used one.

Thanks
Chris

Artech: Is the HKS CA-44 speedloader too small for the L-frame sized cylinder of the 296?

------------------
Lazarus

A friend of mine is in law enforcement in
Southern Calif. and they have sold a titanium .38 about 3 times so far in the
department. Each guy who buys it finally says "Wow, that hurts!" I haven't shot one and I don't know if this is a wuss dept. but
my steel M36 doesn't weigh that much to bother me. I think the titanium .22 wud be a neat thing on a hike.

Try modifing a set of Uncle Mikes full grips for a J frame( the ones that look like a banana)Take your J frame and lay it into one half of the grip. you'll see a rib that runs across the grip just below butt. I hacksawed off the section below the rib. I now have a grip with two finger grooves and a rubber backstrap for my 342 It sure helps with felt recoil. Another plus is that for me the gun seems to point more natural
Biker

[This message has been edited by biker (edited December 16, 1999).]

This annoyed me, so I must vent.

Today, I went to the range and saw
that they had a SW Ti 32 HR mag for rent.

Having tried the 342, thought I would try it.
The dude went to get a box of ammo and
brought back 32 ACP. Why that won't work -
I opined. Why? - he asked. I said it is
for semi-autos. Ah!

So he goes back and says they don't have
any cheap range ammo but they have one
box of Federal 32 for $22.00. I said
I would pass. Wondered aloud if they will ever
rent the gun? The boss told me that there is
NO cheap ammo. Rather than opining again,
I told him to have a pleasant day.

Shmacky winders why substitute a J-frame for a Glock 27.. Have both, and pocket holsters for both. Try it. Glock rides ok in jeans. J-frame rides great in anything. Nuff said. The Glock happiest in a belt holster.

As soon as I can remember where I stashed my Uncle Mikes J frame combat grips, I'll cut them dowm as Biker suggests. It sounds like a great idea. Finally a couple onces of weight advantage does not make up for titanium recoil and cartridge restrictions, My 642 stays.

Don't sell the glock yet..The recoil with the 442 is much harsher. The 442 requires a lot more time to clean and care for.It fits in the front pocket of some pant's, but sticks out when sitting down even with a pocket holster.With a holster of comfort for you the Glock can't be beat,in my opinion.

I just picked up my new 342, and while I haven't fired it yet, I can tell you it's already my favorite. Well made, nice to look at and you don't even know you have it on you. I do have a question I'm hoping someone can answer though, On the rear face of the cylinder there appears to be some black stains, kind of like someone spilled some paint on it, I can't get it off and am just wondering if anyone has the same thing or maybe knows what it is.
Thanks
Z-

Back