S&W Airweight-lighter trigger?

IronBalls

I have an early model hammerless Airweight .38 snubby, and the trigger is hella tough to pull. I can manage it, but my lady has trouble with it- So, anyone know if i can do something to lighten it myself...if not then can anyone suggest a good smith and a suggest price range i should pay.

Im not looking for a 3.5#, but 5.5-6.5 would be nice. Man, it feels like its a good 15#'s or so. My mother-n-law (little 90# woman)is with the Fed Police (granted close to retirement)and shoots routinely, but cant even get one shot off of my S&W. Its that tight.

IronB, man I had the same problem with my Titanium 342. I swear the trigger made the gun actually seem heavier. Not wanting to spend big bucks on a trigger, I called wolff gunsprings and talked to the guy extensively. He convinced me it was a do it yourself job. I got the whole set of springs hammer spring and rebound springs and installed the 8lbs. hammer spring and 13lbs. rebound spring. WOW, what a difference. Another thing that really made a big difference was simply spraying out all the crud in the inside and lightly lubricating the friction areas-a facet I overlooked. If you are reasonably mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. I think that is what I love about the J frames. They are so easily accessorized. Have fun, good luck.

You all should extensively test whatever ammo you're going to use. Notwithstanding the excellent Wolff staff and product, the lighter springs can result in Failures To go Bang. That could be, well, very disappointing. I have had this problem in the past and have had to go back to factory springs, and the problem is even more acute today, with the non-toxic primers that generally require a harder hit.

Steve Houseal does great work on Smiths and is inexpensive. He can get your trigger just the way you want it.

HURON SHOOTING SPORTS
6011 Summerset Court
Midland, MI 48640
<huronsports@gateway.net>

Went to the range today for reliability testing of my self installed wolff springs. So far, so good after 100 rounds no trouble. A night and day difference before and after. The factory hammer spring was 8.5 lbs, factory rebound was 18lbs. Wolff's 8.0 hammer and 13 lbs. rebound. I have a 12 lbs. rebound and may try it.

Back