S&W 9mm Revolver

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Not being into revolvers can anyone answer a few question.

1 - Did S&W ever produce a 9mm Revolver?

2 - If so what was the model designation?

3 - Did it take moon clips and where to get them.

yes - 2 of em

SW 547 - K frame 6 shot
& SW 640 J frame 5 shot

the 547 had no moon clips, had a spring loaded extracter star that snapped into the cartridge groove.... it was supposedly made for a french (or maybe israeli?) contract

before Ed Schultz left SW in disgrace I asked him for a 9mm K (or L) frame full moon clip revolver for IDPA, etc. I got the impression that I was asking for the impossible.
Now in the latest IDPA tactical journal there is a hint that SW might make one (9mm FMC 4" barrel) after all?

the J frame 5 shot FMC snubbie looks pretty nice, but it doesnt do anything for me.

I think you can get J frame FMC's from Ranch Products

Smith also made some Model 19s in 9mm as the test bed for the 9mm, but I don't think it was more than a few hundred.

The J-frame snubnose was the 940.

Smith 9mm pistolvers

The correct J-frame number is model 940.

Have had the 2" and the 3" version of this gun. Still have the 3" one. Most, but not all, of these guns do not like +P 9MM loads at all and will choke on 'em big time. This is because S&W changed the charge hole specs to revolver "specs". They will fix it by installing a new cylinder made to the correct specs. [ a world class example of fixing what ain't broke....GMAB...GEESH ] TM

Schmit,

Are you interested in purchasing a 9mm revolver, or just curious about them?

I just bought one a couple weeks ago, after looking for almost a year!

Bill

Just curious about. Kind of work related as a guy I deal with said that S&W use to make a 6 shot 9mm revolver that took moon clips but I couldn't find on in any of the Complete Book of Guns I've got.

Schmit,

Not sure what he might be referring to, unless it's the illusive model 19 revolvers reported to be produced in 9mm? No one I've heard from, has ever seen one or even heard of it's existence!

I'm told Ruger made three revolvers in 9mm, and a very limited number of one model with spring extractors. The only one I've ever found at gun shows in the Seattle area, was a snub nose six series in very poor condition, for $350!

My 547 was only $300, and is in excellent condition, with no visible wear and a perfect bore. I've only shot it once, but think I'm going to grow very fond of this sweet little revolver. :)

Bill

Bill,

I've handled, but not shot, a Model 19 in 9mm, but can't remember what kind of extractor system it had.

It's referenced in Jink & Nahaus' "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson."

The 9mm 19 I handled belongs to Rick Nahaus, one of the authors of the Standard Catalog, and owner of an amazing collection of Smith & Wesson firearms.

Mike,

Yours is the first live sighting I've heard! :)

Sounds like this is a really rare revolver, so even though I'd love to have one, it might be foolish to shoot it, unless it's already well used.

Do you remember if that mod 19 had adjustable sights?

Bill

Bill, AFIR the 19s were standard Model 19s, just converted to 9mm.

Apparently only a few hundred were made.

The same collector also has one of the Holy Grails of S&W collecting, an N-frame chambered in .30 Carbine, which was done for test bedding during WW II for a possible military contract.

Bill,

Footnote.

Supica & Nahaus' book "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" has some information on the 19s that were chambered for 9mm. Apparently they all came out of the 19-2 variants which would have put them between 1961 and 1967, but quite frankly that seems a wee bit early.

Mike,

Rick Nahaus must have a fantastic collection. :)

Wonder how many of those rare guns, are in the hands of the people who worked for Smith back in the early days? I imagine they were pretty well controlled even then, but a good machinist could assemble most anything they made from parts.

Would those 9mm mod 19 build dates, coincide with the sudden increase in popularity of the 9mm cartridge in this country? Could be they were preparing to anticipate a new market trend.

Bill

Bill,

The entire 9mm revolver project came about because there were a number of agencies in Europe that wanted a revolver, but wanted it chambered for 9mm.

S&W had already had experience in dealing with moon clips, having invented them for .45 ACP use in military Model 1917 revolvers (both Colt and S&W), but the Europeans apparently didn't want anything to do with moon clips.

That's why the springy fingers on the 547 came about.

As for product control, I really don't think that it was all that good for a long time.

Machinists DID make their own guns, and smuggle them out of the factory. These are known as "lunchbox guns" and include some pretty interesting stuff, such as Model 19s with 8 3/8" barrels, at least one N-frame in .22 Long Rifle, and some other wierd stuff.

Well, I've got to jump in on this thread.

I found a M547 ( 3" bbl. round butt) last spring, after casually looking for one (gun shows, gun shops) for several years. It's apparently unfired, in excellent shape. It came from a private collection that contained a number of unfired older Smiths.
I found it at a local shop, and bought it on the spot. I haven't fired it yet, although I've been itching to do so.

My question is, if anyone would happen to know, how many were manufactured for domestic distribution?

Thanks!

Mike,

Now that you mention it, I recall reading about several guns surfacing in the market with strange or missing serial numbers, and non-standard configurations, that were attributed to lunch box specials.

Johnny,

Congratulations on your new 547! I looked a long time for any 9mm revolver, and the 547 was the first one I found in excellent condition at a reasonable price.

Mike would know better than I about shooting it, but as a guess, I'd say keep it unfired if you want to keep the collector value up.

Mine had been fired before I bought it (though very little from all appearances), so I'm shooting it, but being extra careful with the extractor and finish.

Bill

The story I heard was that the French wanted a 9mm revolver but no moon clips, so Smith developed the 547. the French didn't buy(liked the Ruger and their own Manurhein better). S decided to recoup some of their costs by selling domestically and made about 10,000.

thx for the correction - 940 not 640,

originally posted by Mike Irwin

The same collector also has one of the Holy Grails of S&W collecting, an N-frame chambered in .30 Carbine, which was done for test bedding during WW II for a possible military contract.

how many shots was that 30 carbine N frame? any chance theres a pic floating around the net that you or anyone else can link to?

thx Rusty

Rusty,

the .30 Carbine N-frame was a 6-shooter. As far as I know, there are no pictures on the Web.

S&W also toyed with the idea of a K-frame in .30 Carbine, but they supposedly dropped the project after seeing what the .30 did to the N-frame! :)

Back