S&W 99 glitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

VARG

Inactive
I recently purchased a SW99 .40, unfortunately I am new to this forum and noticed there are some problems with the Walther99. If anyone has experienced any of these or other problems with the SW please let me know as I am thinking of trading it in since I have not fired it yet. If these problems were resolved then I'm sticking with it. Thanks for your advice.
BTW: This is an awesome site, wish I would have found it sooner

Varg,
What kind of problems are you looking for?
I mean outside of the gun just being a lemon
give the gun a chance. Go shoot and enjoy it.
There may be some break-in problems but IMHO
a large part of break in problems are due to
the shooter getting used to the arm. ( yes
limp wristing-please no flames )

Thanks for the reply, I am refering to the slide locking back with cartridges still in the magazine and the striker breaking. The lemon comment does not give me a good feeling. Do you know something?

No. not really ( anyway not about the SW99)
Just that if gunmaker "A" builds 1000 model "B" guns; one may be a lemon. Used to be savvy car shopers did not buy a car made on monday or friday because of the attitude of the worker was not the best on those days. As long as the human factor is left in; there will usually be some guns with minor problems
along the way. Aggressive quality control and
good coustermer service go a long way in producing quality products and reducing lemon's. IMHO again most lemon's can be attributed to shooter error or ammo problems.
If you'r not satisfied with the SW99 take it back to the dealer but don't let buyer regret
or someone's opinion keep you from enjoying
owning a quality firearm of any make.

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited November 23, 1999).]

Varg, Like Bobo says, go shoot your new gun and enjoy it. I did read that S&W did address some of the issues seen with early model Walther P99s. If you do encounter problems, contact S&W right away, their customer service is very good. Mark /FL

What to you guys, think of the lever
mag release? I can't use my thumb
with it but have to use my forefinger.

With most release, you find and press in
one motion. Here you have to find and
make a downard motion. Hard or easy to do?

The one I shot was very accurate but
prone to jam - double feeds. Also, failure
to lock back was common. This was a Walther -
not an SW. However, as it was a range gun,
who knows its state of cleanliness, etc.

You have to get use to the mag release. It is very different as is the de-cocker. I recently found out that Walther re-submitted a newer version of the P-99 to Gun Test magazine to address some problems in the earlier model. Still no info on the SW though.

Some posters have had feed problems with their P99 with various ammo. I have not had any in mine (later version). I have, though, only shot ball through it, factory and reload. I have not tried hollowpoints. The main reason I purchased it was due to satisfaction with other Walther guns I have had and to fill my collection. For serious everyday work I would go with my SIG or HK. (And my Astra A-75.)

A sticking point for the P99 has been the plastic recoil guide. Not sure if the SW99 has one or not as I don't care for S&W but I'm sure it has. Seeing that the plastic rod almost entirely sees axial forces instead of radial, I don't see any problem for it being able to hold up, see?

- Ron V.

- Ron V.

------------------

The recent review from GUNTEST said the SW99 is NOT as nice as the P99 in .40SW. They also reported P99 had problems in the past but was corrected in the current release.

I owned the P99 in 9mm and have sold it due to it had feeding problems with factory ammo. I don't want to discourage you but I am not too impress with the P99 anymore. I am going back to my tried and true Glocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back