S&W 945 5

Redhook

O.K. folks, I know that this question has been asked a thousand times, I know... I searched the threads, but how well do these guns compare? I'm limited here in Kali to these two as well as a Springfield. I'm not too fond of springfields. Since these two are in the same price range, that is not an issue.

It appears that thoes who own or have owned the 945 can't say a bad word about them. True? What problems have you had, if any? A lot of people seem to like the 4" over the 5" barrel. I can't get the 4" at this time (just the 3.75") so, what makes the 4" better. I also though I read someone say that they changed the grip panels on their 945. True? S&W says they only offer the one grip and I may want a thinner one. I really like the looks of the gun, but am not fond of the fact that I can't get aftermarket parts. Also, is there a 10rd mag for the 945?

I've got mixed feelings about the Kimber. Although it appears to be one of the better production 1911's, I've heard a mixed bag of praise and problems. What can I expect?

Your help is appreciated as I hope to put a purchase together in the next week or so!

-Red-

It appears that thoes who own or have owned the 945 can't say a bad word about them. True?

False! They cost to much ;)

What problems have you had, if any?

None :D

A lot of people seem to like the 4" over the 5" barrel. I can't get the 4" at this time (just the 3.75") so, what makes the 4" better.

Only differnce I know of betwen the 5" and 4" is the 5" has Bomar or Wilson adj sights vs Novaks on the 4 and 3.75 models. The 5 & 4 are all steel while the 3.75 is alloy framed.

I also though I read someone say that they changed the grip panels on their 945. True?

Don't know...

S&W says they only offer the one grip and I may want a thinner one. I really like the looks of the gun, but am not fond of the fact that I can't get aftermarket parts. Also, is there a 10rd mag for the 945?

most of the lower half is compatible with std 1911s. Only mags I now of are the 7 & 8rd SW mags.

Go to http://www.camfour.com for complete specs.

I have the 3.75" model and 5" model also (still new in safe). Found both from non-restocking dealers. They are high in cost but a fair price for the excellent quality you get. No flames, but the overall fit and finish, reliabilty and accuracy are on par or better than Wilson and Baer.

I bought the 5" 945 about two months ago, so far I love it. I only have about 500 rounds through it so far, though. Not a single burp or malfunction. My only complaint is it is a lot more work to keep clean than my Glocks! Don't believe all the complaints about how difficult it is to reassemble due to the spherical bushing. Once you know to align the bushing with the barrel (duh) it goes together as simple as any other 1911 (maybe easier since it uses a linkless barrel).

My only other beef is it has target sites which aren't suitable for carry use.

Recoil was minimal and site recovery was very fast.

TC

Back