S&W 940 for $262 - was I crazy to pass?

Erich

Hi,

A friend of mine who does probate work just called me about a gun collection he has to dispose of. He'd gotten quotes from a dealer, and had offered to sell any of the guns to me at over what the dealer had offered.

There were some good deals: a couple of those PSP Baby Browning copies for $100, some NAA revolvers, a bunch of autos at good prices. But the thing that attracted me was the S&W 940.

I'd been looking for one of these a couple of months ago, but I wound up buying an SP-101 in .357 instead. Couldn't find the 9mm Smith revo. Anyway, there was one in the collection that would have been $262 to me.

I know it wasn't one of those "This is outstanding! I must buy it!" deals, but I've been buying a lot lately (a S&W 34-1 for my wife, the Ruger, a .40 Browning HP) so I managed to walk away.

Was I a fool? Help me decide whether to beat myself up!

Depending on condition, I think you're INSANE to pass that up.

940s, in Northern Virginia, and when you can find them, are typically $100 more.

Thanks, Mike.

That was what I was thinking, but, man, I've been spending a lot of $ lately.

I put in a call to the guy. We'll see if I'm too late.

When I was into 9mm autos I had a 940 as a backup gun. It was a winner, although the moon clips were kind of a pain. FWIW

I guess it depends on what you want...

The 940 is a sexy lil j frame, but it is fully stainless steel, which makes it as heavy as they come. The 357 Mag 640 weighs maybe an ounce more (SWAG).

Now, if that's what you want... sure go for it. It's most likely a collector's item. But... don't think you can just slip it into your pocket like you can an alloy frame of the same type. It will almost pull your pants down.

I use my 940 for bedside, and alloy jobs for a pocket talisman. YMMV

Good luck and enjoy if you get it.

Used I have seen them from $225 to $250, but that is generally a police turn in so no box or papers. $262 ain't all that bad, especially if it is in good condition. I love mine and the 9mm is more powerful than all but a few of the .357 loads from that short a barrel. Most people with the .357 carry .38 Spc. in it anyway and give up any power gained by the .357.

Thanks, all.

Well, I've asked him to put my name on it, and if no beneficiaries come claim it soon, I get to buy it.

BigG, it will replace an SP-101 in .357 mag that sometimes rides in the front pocket - you want to talk about weighing you down! I don't know that the smaller j-frame will weigh significantly less, but it's a start. It's definitely less bulky.

Jeff, that was one of my concerns. I hate the .357 from a short bbl (which is what I'm using now): it's like driving a semi-truck to work - it will do the job, but it's nowhere near the most efficient way to do it. If I'm trying to move a .36" projectile of a decent (say 120 to 145 grain) weight at a decent speed out of a short bbl'd revo, the .357 mag. isn't too efficient. Lots of excess blast and flash; it just seems so wasteful! I like the 9x19's efficiency in this regard, and the cheapo ammo prices (I've been reloading again since buying the SP-101 a couple of months ago, and let's just say the bloom is already back off that rose!) don't hurt either.

Watch6, I've read over at Shooter's Talk about problems with the moon clips bending. I know Brownell's sells them and I've heard good things about Ranch Products' clips as well.

I sure hope everything works out, because I really want to go shoot the 940.

Erich,

You don't need to worry about the bending moon clips unless they are less robust than the ones we use for .38 sp and .357 magnum rim cartidges. Use the proper tool, don't use brass that doesn't fit. I had one bent to a nice angle when it was stepped on at a match, flattened it out and now don't know which one it is.

I learned this from my wife-AKA the ultimate frugal consumer.

Repeat after me: "Never pass up a bargin"
Even if it's something you don't really want. When I was looking for a 12 ga 870, the dealer had a very good ( but not great) price on a Browning BPS 20 ga, used but unfired. I passed on the BPS, but at my wife's insistance I ended up getting both. Now, 2 years later, the 20 ga bug has bitten me. Good thing my wife was far sighted cause otherwise I would be out at least $100.00 or more today.

Just a note on the moon clips: The ones (4 units) I got with my 940 appear to be properly hardened where you can easily insert and remove cases both before and after firing. I have no doubt they will go the life of the gun unless, of course, I lose them!

This got kicked BTT, and I thought I'd just give an update on my happiness with the 940.

I got some of the moon clips from Brownell's, and a moon clip stripper so's I don't mess them up. I really, really like this revolver. It's not the most accurate thing in the world (I was getting 3" groups offhand at 30') with the DAO trigger, but it has a fair amount of OOMPH in a fairly small package, and I really like the speed of reloading with the moons. Love the price of ammo, too. I can't overstress how happy I am with this revolver's efficiency in getting a .355 bullet up to a decent speed out of a very short bbl. This is what I was looking for when I bought the .357 snubbie recently, only the 9mm is so much more efficient at the job.

The previous owner (may he rest in peace) had an action job done, which really smoothed the DAO pull out and lightened it a bit. I fired the revolver a lot the one time I've had it to the range - a few more than 200 rounds. One thing I noticed was that the trigger face was pinching my trigger finger (not much of a complaint after 200 rounds thru a j-frame) - surprisingly, the last owner'd never had the face of the trigger polished. I got out the Flitz and sat down to watch TV for about three hours and polish the face - now it's just lovely.

I've been pleasantly surprised that the revo doesn't seem terribly heavy in the pocket. After the SP-101 and the steel-framed SMC .380, the Smith feels fine. :)

Eric,

I'm very glad to hear that you decided to get the 940.

It really was too good of a deal to pass on.

Now you're making me jealous.

I've been trying to find one at a decent price here in Northern Virginia for the last year or so, but the second I get interested in a gun, they all go into hiding. ;)

Hey, Erich:

Sounds like you got a good one, bro! Welcome to the 940 club.

BTW, your groups will get better as you learn to control a small light DAO revolver. Glad you like yer new piece! :cool:

Thanks, BigG and Mike!

Now I just have to practice until I can shoot it a little better. I'm comfortable with it now, but that's a big group for me at that range. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

I'm very happy I bought this revo. Thanks for encouraging me to do so!

Erich,
It seems we keep buying the same type guns at the same time. I traded a Taurus 85SS for a Ruger Sp101 either right before or after you picked up your Sp-101 and now my PD traded in two Model 60's. I bought the nicer of the two off the dealer doing the trade in. I found the Sp-101, to be very accurate but, very heavy, and not a joy to shoot .357 magnum loads out of. I'm gonna bob the hammer and carry 125 +p ammo in the Chief. Good luck with the 940. My partner swears by his, it's his "always" gun.

Take Care!

Back