S&W 686 Rear Sight Adjustment

KMO

So, I received my model 686+ back from the S&W factory shop after having the barrel replaced. They ended up installing a complete rear sight assembly in the process of replacing the barrel, so the elevation needed some extreme adjustment when I got it back. The POI was about 12 inches high at just 15 yards. I began lowering the rear blade with the elevation adjustment screw, but it bottomed out before I could get the POI on target. Any ideas on what to do now?

I think you have 3 options:
1. Use faster ammo.
2. Replace the rear sight blade (or cut it deeper).
3. Replace the front sight blade with a taller one.

No ammo is going to be fast enough to move poi by 12 inches in 15 yards.

To be fair, 12 inches was the starting point. By the time I ran out of adjustment travel, I was able to cut that in half. So, with the rear blade fully adjusted downward, the POI was still high by 6 inches.

The obvious solution is to send it back to S&W....the 'fix' has resulted in sights which are not usable. Since they didn't shoot it to check for sight registration, you may get it back in a short amt. of time. Changing the front or rear sight puts you as the culprit. Rod

Sorry, Men...

I feel bad for leaving out one detail. Perhaps senility is kicking in over here in AZ... I remembered after posting here that when I got my 686 back from S&W with the new 3" barrel I purchased, they included with my revolver my original rear sight assembly, sent back in a bag, and a brand new assembly was on the revolver. I never asked for that, so I just set it aside in my case. I pulled out the original sight assembly, and the new one has a distinctly taller blade. I'm perplexed about why they would do this as part of a barrel replacement, but my original blade is very obviously shorter. I quickly swapped out the two assemblies, and I'm guessing my high POI problem is now remedied. I'll go out & check it in a day or two...:cool:

Back