S&W 686+ Questions

Hello, I'm new to the board. I have been lurking the board from time to time and reading the posts. You seem like a friendly and knowledgeable bunch, so I thought I'd ask a question.

I have been a long-time auto pistol guy, I currently shoot a glock 21 (.45), 35 (.40), and Sig P226 in .40 on a regular basis. As much as I enjoy the autos, I am looking to get a revolver for the first time--figure I'll try somthing new. The one that really catches my eye is the S&W 686+ (7 shot) with a 6" barrel. If anyone has had any experience with this gun, good or bad, I would really like to hear about it. Also, is the "power port" model worth it, does the port create a substantial increase in noise and flash? It will be used primarily for target shooting and plinking. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I hope all of you have a great holiday.

I have a couple of 686s. One is a plus model that I use for plates. In my OPINION, I believe it to be the finest revolver made, the extra shot is really helpful when your shooting a 6 plate run, or anything else for that matter. It's more accurate for me than any semi centerfire handgun I have ever owned, and it's never failed to function in any way. I guess it's pretty clear that I really like that gun. As I shoot target loads only, the porting would'nt be something I would be interested in, so I have no knowledge of how well it works. I do have some ported shotguns for Sporting Clays and those things are a PItA to clean.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

I own a 686 4" and I would have to say that it is the finest revolver I have ever owned or shot. I use it as my house gun and keep it loaded with Federal Hydra-Shoks. I have a friend that shoots his at the range every week and feeds it a steady diet of what he calls "Baby Nukes". If the 686 will stand up to his punishment, it has got to be well made.

One firearm that is often overlooked is the S&W model 625. It is a 45 acp revolver and is more of a joy to shoot than the 357 Magnum. For guys that already have 45 acp auto's, it is a bit more convenient, same ammunition that you currently use. Just something to think about, everyone needs a 357 Magnum of some kind in their collections.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited December 25, 1999).]

I have a 686+ and matching 617 (.22)
It is ACCURATE and comfortable to shoot. Even with 6" barrel, faster light bullets make a lot of noise, so I switched to 158gr...wouldn't want to have it ported, would make noise worse. It rolls on recoil, so the kick isn't painful at all. I did win one local competition with it, shooting mostly against people with autoloaders.
Nice DA trigger, even better SA.

I got 6" barrel mostly to cut down on muzzle blast. It is more a target gun than a less front-heavy all-around 4". Seven rounds are nice not only for the obvious reason but also for shorter trigger pull.

Check old posts on this...when I asked around, i got lots of good info given to me here.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

The 686+ was my first handgun. I had put off spending the money on 'frivolous' personal interests until my wife gave me an opening when she remarked about self-defense.

I was not serious about self-defense, but I thought that the 7th round would be an interesting surprise if it ever happened. (I now have the 627 V-Comp 8-shot .357 magnum.)

I really do not like specialized tools unless they are necessary, so wanted an 'all around' gun. This meant iron sights and a 6" barrel as compromise on accuracy and portability. This also meant DA for the DA/SA options and .357 magnum for its versatility in available loads.

I have now put close to 9000 rounds through the 686+ and find it an ever increasing pleasure to shoot. The gun is much more accurate than I am so I have no excuses for poor shooting. I've become involved in action pistol shooting (once I learned to watch the front sight and hit the target) and after less than a year from purchase the 686+ and I (mostly the 686+) are shooting well enough to stay ahead of 15% to 25% of the auto shooters in monthly matches.

I will be using the 627 V-Comp for most matches now as it is made for competition and evens out the difference when going against single stack .45 ACP, but will always have an itch to push limits with the 686+.

I also decided that if the self-defense situation ever did arise despite my pesimism, it is better to have the gun available. I would hate to have to explain to my wife or daughter why I had it locked up in the other room when it was needed for their protection. So now I put it easy reach each night with three speedloaders carrying Federal 130 gr Hydra-Shok rounds and lock it up with the others during the day.

By the way, I think the 625 route make great sense for .45 acp owners. In my case, I do not have the dual use for the .45 ammo.

Back