S&W 686 question

vica

Inactive
I am awaiting a 3" barrel 686 being shipped to me by a Gunbroker seller. I wish I could have included a photo from the sale ad but I couldn't figure it out.

This 686 has Talo or Deluxe style wood grips. It also has a silver colored trigger and hammer rather than the typical black or dark colored steel. Why is this? Is this a particular model?

At this moment I don't know what variant number for this revolver.

The hammer and trigger in your 686 is made from flash chromed carbon steel. Smith & Wesson tried stainless parts in the early stainless revolvers, but had problems with wear. They then went to flash chromed parts, and more recently MIM parts that have the case color.

Let me understand this thread better, or summarize:

OP bought a gun, sight unseen and doesn't know what he bought, other than a 3" 686 (if that's even accurate).

Now, without yet receiving the gun, and no pictures or documentation, the OP is asking the TFL community what he bought.

At this point, it doesn't matter what we think or what you think you bought. What matters more is what is your FFL going to receive. Once the gun is received, go there and take some photos and post them here.

Things to photo which might help is the dash number of the model; the serial number; and the label from the original box, if there is a box. Then also photo these "white" metal parts of concern.

Smith & Wesson tried stainless parts in the early stainless revolvers, but had problems with wear.

But are some of the hammers and triggers on the Ruger Security six series stainless steel? So how does Ruger get past this problem?

On all of Ruger's stainless revolvers from Day 1, they've used true stainless.
Their process & formulation simply worked, where S&W's didn't.

S&W has never gone back to try to perfect stainless in their revolver hammers & triggers.
Once they gave up, that was it.
Denis

Some S&W stainless revolvers used triggers that were hard chromed. Others used the case hardened triggers and hammers like their blued cousins.

On all of Ruger's stainless revolvers from Day 1, they've used true stainless.
Was it not you who made this comment earlier:
The SP is the only steel-framed Ruger revolver that has a MIM hammer.
MIMs began working their way through the DAs roughly three years ago.
MIM triggers are now standard on SP, GP, Reds, and Super Reds.
You can tell by the "hollow" backside on those triggers.
Denis

Last edited:
MIM can be either stainless or carbon steel.
Ruger specs stainless now, S&W still holds to carbon.
Denis

Many varieties & formulations of stainless, including MIM.
I was referring to Ruger's "real" stainless vs Smith's "imitation stainless". :)
Denis

Which ever material the trigger is made from you bought a great revolver. A 3" 686 is a highly sought after gun and we will be looking forward to pics when you get it in your hands.
Enjoy your new firearm knowing if you ever need it, S&W has spectacular customer service.

Back