S&W 66 worth keeping?

Johnny Rad

First - let me plead my ignorance to revolvers! Please take it easy on me ...

I'm an auto man (Walther P99 and Kimber Ultra Carry), but am about to receive a blued S&W 66 in .357 w/4" bbl as a hand me down from my father-in-law and want your expert opinions.

At this time, I believe the gun has no sentimental value. That being said, is it anything special on its own merits? It's probably been shot infrequently, but it does need a good cleaning. Should I go looking for something to trade it in on? I figure I'd like to stay with a modestly priced DA revolver - one that'll pop .38's and .357's with a 4-6" bbl.

Is a GP100 / SP100 a good bet? Anything else?

A blued 66? S&W 66's are stainless. I didn't know they made any blued ones?? FWIW, I had a 66 and liked it but I prefer my Ruger SP-101 or a S&W 686 over the 66, in that order. Just my opinion of course.

The 66 fits your description, modestly priced (free in this case), DA, 4" bbl and will shoot .38's and .357's all day long. :) I'd keep it if it were free and look around till something else strikes your fancy before trading. I wouldn't trade it just to be trading. The 66 is a good gun. I carried and shot one for a year working in Corrections and never had a seconds trouble out of it. I will probably end up with another one if I run across a good enough deal. :)

R6

If it is blued, might be a model 19. 4" model 19 is arguably the finest all round handgun built.

Sam....my favorite 9mm is the 9X32R

I would keep the model 66. This model revolver is the most accurate handgun that I own.

I never shoot .357 Magnums in it. I mostly shoot light .38 special target loads (148 grain wadcutters) or 158 grain round nose lead, or for defense I use 158 grain +P lead hollow points.

I would avoid shooting any 125 grain, .357 Magnum JHP's at all, and I would not shoot many .357 magnums.

Have fun with your model 19/66!

Mk.IV

Most likely a Model 19 (go over to the S&W website and you can find a picture of it), the Model 66 is the same gun in stainless. Check to see if it is pinned and recessed. Something they quit doing a while back because of the additional cost. Economics over craftmanship. If it is pinned and recessed, I will give you $100 to take it off your hands.

Seriously, whether it is P&R'ed or not it is definitely a classic and a keeper. Model 19 that is.

It's crap, in fact it's such junk you should send it to me right away so you don't have to look at it! :)

Seriously thats a classic, high quality revolver you're getting. If it were me I'd hang on to it, I've got a GP100 and it's a fine 357 as well and far stronger than the S&W 19/66 series, but the Smith is a fine gun. It's one that's on my "Guns to get" list even though I have the Ruger (it comes after a M27 S&W though).

Unless you just don't like that revolver for some reaon and really want to get a Ruger or some other 357 I wouldn't trade it, that S&W will shoot 38's and 357's just fine and should serve you well.

I personally won't sell a gun that was given to me as a gift. Even if I really didn't care for that particular model. Don't know if it makes sense or not but that's the way I way raised.

you wont get much on a trade so keep it .its a good gun and since youd be trading it on another .357????? why bother.

JohnK is right, but he didn't go far enough -- it's not just junk, it's downright dangerous. Send it to me right away, before you hurt yourself with it ;)

M1911

It's a Keeper

A further endorsement for the S&W Model 19; it is a true classic with proven overall excellence. Honestly, if this revolver is in top condition and you don't want it, I'll gladly buy it. However, my suggestion -- like so many others -- is that you keep this wonderful piece. Also, like many other posters, I would generally feed the Model 19 .38 Special loads (standard pressure 130 grain FMJs for target/plinking and Federal Nyclad for personal defense, would be my preferences) and restrict the .357 magnum diet.

Greeting's Poster's;

In either case, be it a Smith & Wesson model 19 or a 66; I
most definitely would claim it as a "keeper". As my friend,
C.R. Sam stated, they are among the finest revolver's ever
made. Before the Glock (and other semi-auto's) craze, these
weapons saw service in a lot of law enforcement agencies,
nationwide. To sum it up, thank your in-laws (mine are out-laws; no just kidding, of course) very kindly and accept
the nice gift.:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Good to read all these posts this afternoon! Thank you for all the insight.

First, I'm not sure now whether it's a 66 or 19. Either way, it seems that this pistol might not be strong enough to handle .357 rounds?! Why is this? Or, is it just better not to subject it to the pounding of hot loads very often? [My hands might appreciate the .38 better anyhow!]

Also, it sounds like the 66/19 is quite accurate. I don't recall the rear sight - do you think it might be adjustable?

When I see it next, I'll look for the pins and model designation.

Hi,

The revolver was meant to give the police officer .357 power in a .38 size frame. This weapon was meant to be fed .38 Special for practice, and carried with .357 for duty use. Like everyone else said, one of the greatest revolvers around. Yes, the rear sight is fully adjustable. Enjoy!

Johnny R,

Just one pin & that through the frame & bbl just in front of the forcing cone, horizontal & 90 degrees to bbl axis - prevents the bbl from rotating under recoil.

Recessing is at the cylinder face where the cartridges go. Rather than the current style where the cartridge rim sits outside the cylinder, the recessed models have an added "counterbore" which allows the cartridge rim to go into the cylider/primer side sits flush with cylinder face.

66 is stainless, 19 is blued w/adj sights.

Either will shoot .357s just fine but the frame is not as beefy as some & it just wasn't designed for continual pounding of mag loads. Unless you shoot 1,000s of rounds a year, doubtful you'll ever wear it out.

As with a few other classic firearms, the 19/66 is just one to have.

Just checked out the revolver again - hope the 'ol steel trap in my head works better this time around!

It is indeed a S&W SS Model 66 w/adjustable rear sight. As "labgrade" described in the previous post, it does feature the pinned barrel and recessed cyclinder face. Not totally understanding the NRA rating system on used guns, I would say that it is one notch below excellent. Maybe a nice clean-up job would do the trick?!

This pistol was a duty gun that I suspect mght have been purchased at the beginning of my father-in-law's service ... maybe the early sixties? Does that sound appropriate? Or, is this pistol considerably newer?

HELP ME MAKE SENSE OF THE NOMENCLATURE: It has two different stamped markings and one that is lightly engraved: (1) frame, visible when the cylinder is pushed out ... and five digit code and "Mod.66" (2) on the arm that swings out on the cylinder another differnt five digit code (3) underneath the cylinder on the frame is a lightly engraved longer code.

Sound like an earlier model, since there is no dash# after the "66". The number on the frame by the model number is the serial number. The number on the arm is simply a work number. These revolvers started to be made in the early 70's. Seventy-two or three I believe. Definitely no earlier than that. The Model 19, which is the 66's blued counterpart, came about in the late 50's. Hope this helps!

Back