S&W 66-1 Christmas

4D5

Santa Came Early

I was hoping for one last S&W prelock for Christmas.
I figured my last find was at the gun show a few weeks ago when I scored a NIB M14-4.

Anyway, I was out doing errands yesterday, recently retired :D and decided to go by my favorite pawn shop.
Well there in the case was this specimen. I gave it the once over, haggled and made it my Christmas present to myself.

It’s in great shape, P&R. According to the SCSW it was born in 1978.
All it needs is a good cleaning.
It will have a home between its brothers a 2 1/2 and a 6 inch.

SampW%2066-1%204inch_zpsqozfwx1i.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your Christmas 66-1. As you already know it is a great handgun, and your were fortunate to find a -1. :)

Congratulations. Beautiful revolver. Love those stocks.

I've got a 66-4, Ladysmith, snub on layaway myself. Normally I don't care for snubs, but my wife wanted it. That's my story.

If it is a -1 it is going to be later than '73. I have a no dash #9K25XX that according to the SCSW was made in 1976.

66%20serial%20%23-XL.jpg

IMG_1737-XL.jpg

That is a fine revolver you have there and certainly worthy of being your Christmas present.

HIGHPOWER3006
If it is a -1 it is going to be later than '73. I have a no dash #9K25XX that according to the SCSW was made in 1976.

The S/N on mine is 42K299**.
I could not find the S/N in any of the ranges in the SCSW.
However, in the engineering and production changes it does indeed look like the 66-1 falls in the year 1977.

Thanks for your observation.
4D5

4D5 That's one beautiful Smith (and one of my grail guns too). I can't recall...does the 66-1 have recessed chambers? Sure looks like it from your pic. And, how does it shoot? Rod

Id have to look again to recall exactly but this lil jewel is from the 77/78 time frame as well.
My FAVORITE gun when it "hand guns at the range" day.
824f463c9253ae6a2958dc3106db6fb2.jpg
5e3596f8225a0b60ae6101d25690a532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't actually own one of these, but the local range has one in their rental case.
So, that's what I have used.
It was surprising the differences in the point of impact in the available ammo, from light .38 target loads to full house .357, even at only a 15 yard target distance.
Adjustable sights are a must.
Good choice there, 4D5.
Enjoy, it's probably one of the best revolvers ever.

Last edited:
Back