S&W 65

fadingbreed

Just bought my first 357 Mag, a used S&W 65 (65-2), and I really like it. It is a good shooter. I don't find much info on this particular model. Are there any pro's and con's relative to this model I should know about? Also, are the fixed sights on these guns calibrated for the 158 grain bullet? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

There aren't many cons associate with the Model 65 at all. The only one is that a steady diet of FT&B (full tilt & boogie) .357 Mag. ammo can, eventually, cause cylinder endshake.

The pros are that it's a K-frame .357 Mag., one of the best combinations of power, ergonomics, weight, balance, etc., ever put into any revolver package.

The stainless will make it very corrosion resistant.

One thing that you'll probably want to get are some Kleenbore "Lead Away" cloths. These do a very good job of removing the carbon staining that you'll get around the rear of the barrel, front of the cylinder, and at the muzzle from the powder gas.

Do NOT use these cloths on a blued gun, though. They're mildly abrasive, and will damage the bluing. On stainless, though, they're fine.

Another pro about the S&W is that it can easily be given a really good trigger pull -- smooth & light -- by a competent gunsmith.

As Mike suggested, don't shoot a steady diet of .357 mags in it. The K-frame may shoot a little loose after a few thousand rounds. I have two 3" mod 65's myself and the pinned and recessed, as yours is, gun is my favorite. In its' blued version (mod 13) it was the issue gun of the FBI around 1980.

before my department went to sigs we issued 4" m13 (blued 65) you had a choice of department issued ammo: 125gr +p .38spl or 125gr .357mag. out to about 20yds the +p shot to point of aim and the mag was just out of the 9-ring (low). i found that 140gr mag load and 158gr +p would stay inside the 9-ring.

if i had one, i would round the butt, add a set of hogue batam grips, tune the action, shave the hammer (like powers does, not bobbing by just removing the hammer spur) and cutting the barrel back to 3", flush with the ejector rod pin/housing. have a high front sight mounted and file it down to match your favorite load.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the helpful info I feel pretty good about having bought this thing now. No I not going to feed it a steady diet of full magnum loads, but instead I'll use 38 P's and the underpowered 357 "Cowboy" loads. From my understanding, Cowboy Loads have a muzzle volicty of about 900 fps - hopefully this won't cause too much wear and tear.

Loads for the M-65

I've had a couple of those and still regret letting them go in trades. EXCELLENT combination of power, size, durability and versatility. Some say the fixed sights make it hard to go from Special to Magnum and still hit the point of aim. To me, the fixed sights are part of the charm of this handgun. You just can't break one much short of intentional abuse.

It is a little-known fact that both S&W and Colt carefully designed their early magnum revolvers with adjustable sights and frames specifically balanced to turn and alight directly on the rear sight when dropped from any height, any position, from hand or holster. This is called by some collectors "The Cat-Turn Factor." I have been unable to verify whether or not Ruger followed their lead. [;-)]

But really--This thing will gobble up +P .38 loads almost forever. The 160 gr. LSWC with 5.0 gr. Unique in .38 SPL cases is a wonderful small game and practice load.

DISCLAIMER: This is a published load, but rather brisk for small .38 revolvers. I shot my Model 37 Airweight Chief loose with it. It is NOT explosive, but it WILL develop end shake in alloy-framed .38s.

Best regards,
Johnny
MOLON LABE!

The finest double action I've ever encountered was done by some unknow gunsmith on a 3" round-butt M65 w/ bobbed hammer and Pachmayr compact grips. It rides in my wife's purse/holster, and it would be the last firearm I ever part with.

I put Bianchi Lightning grips on my 3" 65. They provide a shroud over the hammer, and, with finger grooves, give me the best angle for pointing of all my handguns.

For an inexpensive factory load, I would suggest Aguila 357mag 158gr SJHP. This is a medium velocity load, about equal to 38+P in felt recoil. This is my most accurate load - about three inch groups at 50 feet free style. Not bad for $11/box factory ammo and someone who would like to practice more.

Though you may disagree, I use the Aguila load for self-defense also. The only draw back is some muzzle flash. I checked out Federal 357mag 158gr Hydra-Shock, Federal 38+P 110gr Hydra Shock, Winchester 38+P 130gr SXT, Remington 38+P 125gr Golden Sabre, and Speer 357mag 158gr Gold Dot. The Aguila was the most accurate with the Fed 357mag second. Surprisingly, only the Fed 357mag had no muzzle flash, but the recoil was fierce. If I could get the flash suppressant in the Aguila, that would be just right!

Back