S&W 649 and 130gr. 158gr. Range Report

Dear friends,

Yesterday I went to our range with my 2" S&W 649. For this test I used Federal's Personal Defense .357 mag. , 130gr. and Magtech's 158 gr. SJHP .357 mag.

Results:

Federal 130 gr. ( 25 rounds) - Violent and sharp recoil, muzzle flash was brigth orange and about 14 inches in diameter. This ammo would be very detrimental during night time. I do not recommend this load for 2" snubs at all.

Magtech 158 gr. ( 50 rounds ) - Much smoother recoil, muzzle flash was not visible at all. I am very surprised with the performance of this load. Accuracy was way much better and precise, fast one handed shots proved to be an easy task.

Given the decrese in velocity on a 2" barrel, I opt to use the
158 gr. SJHP ammo for personal defense. The soft nose gives more chance of rapid expansion while the addes mass ensures adequate penetration.

After 75 rouds, I left the range with a nice blister at the base of my thumb... Rubber grips tend to do this with hotter ammo.

;)

Felipe thanks for the info. I don't feel like a nutcase now. Well not much anyway. I also put a box or two of that Federal 130gr Personal Defense ammo through my Speed Six and it kickes like a mule. No idea why.

Yes, that is odd. Personal Defense in auto chamberings tends to be on the lighter side. Is the blister on your thumb on top of your first knuckle? If so, it's impacting the base of the thumb latch as the gun rolls back in your hand during recoil. It cuts me when using magnum ammo in my J-frame. Now, where is that Dremel tool...:D

The blister....

Victor,

The blister on my thumb is caused by the grip rubbing against the lower-inner side of the thumb. I guess I needed to hold this little beast in a more manly manner.....:D

How about using 158 gr. SJHP Maggies for self defense? If 158gr. FBI load .38 Specials are good I guess the maggies will be adequate.

I am waiting to received the Barami grips I ordered from AJAX. With them, this S&W 649 will be an ideal CCW piece!

Back