S&W 645

Bill Siegle

without going into politics what type of reputation do these have? Any idea what they're worth? The 1 I'm considering is a 2nd generation gun. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Opinions on 645

Our SWAT guys had 645 years ago and some of our people still carry 645's or 4506's. Con opinions: Heavy, too large for anything buy most dedicated holster wearer, some sharp edges. Old style ambi safety has a habit of losing one side with regularity. Pro: Reliable with 2nd Generation magazines only (I saw a lot of the 1st gen. mags shuck the top round skyward when the guys whipped them out to reload, others split at seams or feed lips). Would always feed PD reloads that choked a Glock. To me, trigger is too crunchy and heavy, but Smith triggers smooth with use. I think the 4506, especially the TSW, is MUCH better. Never formally tested the guns for groups.

S&W had to get into .45acp auto loaders somewhere along the line. Basically a heavy, but reliable(with the right mags) DA auto. Now, the S&W745, the single action auto, that was the original 'super gun'

645 is big, but not that big. It is about the size and weight of full size 1911. I like it alot. The handle is very comfortable, with front and bach strap serrated.
It can be carried very comfortably in vertical shoulder rig (my favorite way of carry). It is quite accurate, but trigger needs work. Locklite solves the safety problem.
If you can find it cheap, less then $300, grab it.

Back