S&W 645 question.

Wagonman

denver-colorado-handguns-for-sale--45-auto-smith---wesson-model-645
I just had my 645 reconditioned, I have a question, on the left side of the pistol the same is attach with a Phillips screw. Is there a replacement for the right side safety that I can have installed that looks more appealing.
Picture is not of my particular gun just a representation of what I'm talking about

denver-colorado-handguns-for-sale--45-auto-smith---wesson-model-645

Last edited:
Your picture isn't showing but I assume you meant right side decock lever.

S&W used (for the most part) four different methods across all the 1-2-3rd Gen pistols. Your 645 is a 2nd Gen pistol. In order, they did:

a) single side decock only
b) right lever affixed with ugly Philips screw
c) right lever affixed with better hex-head screw
d) right lever affixed spring loaded pin retainer

Option "d" was obviously the best.

For you to go with option "d" on a 645 would mean that you need to source the entire drum-shaped unit from a 3rd Gen pistol. I know that Brownell's sometimes has these parts, I think you are looking at some $60 or more to get them -if- you can find them. You need the entire left side/right side assembly, you cannot simply attach a 3rd Gen ("d") style right side paddle to a 2nd Gen 645 pistol, sorry.

Thanks.. yes, right side... I had issues with editing and attaching pic. Even a hex screw would look better than. The Philips that’s there. So, I’d have to replace the whole safety mechanism to make it aesthetically pleasing. Is a difficult swap?

Is the Phillips an odd-ball thread?
Would a specialty fastener company have a slotted or otherwise more appealing screw with the proper thread?

I would imagine that is exactly the lowest-cost route to a less ugly right side paddle.

That philips screw has always baffled most folks. WHAT was S&W thinking?! Honestly! It looks like a part stolen from an erector set.

Back