S&W 642

napg19

S&W Performance Center has a 642 with Enhanced trigger. They say 20% smoother trigger pull. Did not say trigger pull weight was reduced. Also said it can be loaded with or without use of moon clips.
Anyone have any experience with one of these.

S&W Performance Center has a 642 with Enhanced trigger. They say 20% smoother trigger pull. Did not say trigger pull weight was reduced. Also said it can be loaded with or without use of moon clips.
smoother does not mean lighter.

I had one..not very much fun to shoot..BUT 642 was .38Special..moonclips not required, yes? But nice handgun...

Thanks for the reply,s. I'm going to look into a standard 642 and trigger jobs.
I miss my model 36 from 49 yrs ago. I would have liked to put some rubber grips on it and see if it didn't beat the web of my hand so bad. Waa, Whine, Whine, LOL. Thanks again guys.

My 642 smoothed up considerably by itself. How? Dry fire practice. Empty gun and a night of watching television gives one plenty of dry fire practice. A week or 2 should do the trick. A couple thousand shots later and it's like glass, very slick! No gunsmith required, just
Solid practice, which we all need anyhow. Won't hurt your gun, but if you have concerns, buy snap caps.

I bought one of these several years ago - it was a dealer exclusive through Davidson's. I have never really liked J-frames that much (had a Model 60 back in 1982 or so) but the 642 with the factory tuning is a great little gun. I'm glad I paid the extra for the tuned model.

Last edited:
Get a Apex trigger kit. They are cheap, quick and easy to install and took the trigger pull from maxing out my gauge to an 8lb trigger pull....night and day difference. I still dont enjoy the diminutive, light weight gun....it wreaks havoc on my trigger finger but the trigger is good to go now.

Back