S & W 642 and 442

marca

I'm interested in feedback from anyone who owns or has shot the S & W Model 642 or S & W Model 442. These are 2 of the revolvers that I've considered, in stock at my local gun shop. I'm also considering the Model 60, and have already gotten some good feedback about its performance, here on the forum.

Thanks in advance

I had a model 60 (the old style 19 ounce model) for 18 years and it served me well....I had the hammer bobbed and it was a great IWB, ankle gun. when a friend was getting rid of his 442 to buy a titanium, I snatched it up for 200 bucks and sold my 60. I love this gun. The lighter weight really feels great on my ankle and is non-existent on my hip. I also like the enclosed hammer..no dust, no snag. If I were buying new, I probably would go for the 642 since you don't have to worry about finish wear as much. Either way... a great gun...and my friend is sorry he sold it to me after shooting his titanium.....I put hideout grips on it (15 bucks from brownells) and picked up an uncle mike's #36 for IWB (7 bucks on line) Here are a few pics with the renegade 500 ankle holster (the best design as far as I am concerned and only 46 bucks)....good luck

BTW...my recommedation is for an all the time carry gun...if you plan on shooting more than carrying....go for the extra weight of the 60

http://photos.yahoo.com/p7newbie:)

Sure do like my .357 Model 60. If you are insistent upon picking between the 642 and the 442, I'd go with the 642--just because it's a heavier gun and the closet thing to being a Model 60 without being one.

Randy

I've got a 442............

with a Barami Hip Grip. It is. by far, my easiest and most comfortable CCW. I like the light weight and the reliability. With the Barami I can carry it wearing anything. Great combination for me.

They are the best. Once you get used to firing a snubby, you realize the only way to do it is Double Action, therefore the hammerless configuration makes perfect sense where it wouldn't to a less experienced shooter.

BTW, IIRC the only difference between the 442/642 is the 442 is blue and the 642 is silver. They should be the exact same weight.

I own the 642, and it is a good carry revolver particularily for summer use (shorts/Ts). Mine is rated +P, but firing 158 Blazer +P in practice left the web of my hand bruised and sore for several days. With +P, I found the recoil harsh although YMMV. I went to regular 38 loads like 125gr Nyclads, and the gun was much more confortable

I traded in my Seecamp LWS .32 for a S&W 642 and haven't looked back since. The 642 is about the same weight but it's spread over a slightly larger package so it doesn't sag my front
pocket like the Seecamp did. The 642 is the EVERYDAY gun. Honestly, there is no reason not to carry it anywhere, in most any clothing, at any time of the year. It is extremely lightweight and reliable. Mine is stock. The only modifications I would even consider are a duty trigger job and an orange front sight insert. Maybe Crimson Trace grips. I carry mine in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I also load it with 158-gr.+P LHPSWC. The snubby is for the down and dirty CQC that you may run into. Just pull it from the holster and fire-- no safeties, etc. It is hammerless so you can even fire it from your coat pocket. I practiced last week with 25 rounds of the above-mentioned load and it didn't bother me, but I can see where people would prefer a standard pressure load or a lighter bullet. Buy it. Buy two!

I got a 649 .357 to replace my 342. I like the lighter weight, but prefer the 357 cartridge.
The 125gr Gold Dots out of my 342 were 850fps, the same bullet out of my 649 goes 1200fps.
I prefer the power. :D

I love the 642. It's what I carry 90% of the time, and it absolutely disappears in the front pocket of my Levi's. I can shoot it well enough out to 10 yards with Federal Nyclad 158's. Not exactly the Hammer of Thor, but it's alot more effective than waving a white flag:) .
vanfunk

Does the 442/642 bite?

How much range/practice time can you put in with a S & W 642 and 442 before your hand begins to hurt? I imagine the light weight frame causes the .38 to have quite a bite?

With practice, what kind of accuracy can I expect?

Thanks

With standard pressure ammo you should be able to shoot 25-30 or even 50 rounds per session (once every week or two). My hand doesn't hurt, but I also do a lot of yard work. Make sure you get a high grip on the backstrap.

Accuracy? I tend to shoot the snubbie high and right, which is the opposite of all my other guns. I don't shoot a snubbie for "groups," but I do try to hit a 10"wide x 12"tall rectangle most of the time at 30 feet. Doesn't always work.

I would practice a lot with cheap practice ammo that is the same pressure and weight as your carry load, i.e. 158-gr. FMJ if you carry 158-gr. Nyclads like vanfunk. Then you should get the same point of impact and learn how your revolver shoots/how you shoot your revolver.

Also, practice quick double taps, and double taps on two targets. If your range allows it, practice drawing from the pocket, and start with targets at five FEET. Then move out five feet at a time the better you get. Try strong hand point shooting, two-handed sighted, and one-handed "retention" position when the gun is by your side (be careful not to torch your blouse or shoot yourself in the ribs!) Also try shooting weak handed, kneeling, and seated.
Stand sideways to the target, draw, turn, and fire. If you dare, buy an inexpensive jacket at the Salvation Army and practice firing from within the pocket.

And practice reloading! This is important with a snubbie for two reasons. First, it only carries five rounds. I carry a rubber Bianchi Speed Strip in my offisde pocket with six rounds on it. Second, snubbies have short ejector rods, and you really have to slap those empties to get them out. +P rounds may be more difficult to remove, i.e. extract them with your fingers. I wouldn't bother carrying a speedloader -- it negates the joy of carrying a snubbie, which is its extremely low profile.

Hope this helps.

On the contrary,

I do not find a J-frame speedloader to be at all burdensome. I carry the Speed Strip as a second reload, or with the intent of a tactical( :rolleyes: ) reload if time and cover permits.

Got a 642 myself, really like it for low-profile days. It kicks and wiggles a little, but with decent grips it is perfectly well behaved and will put all 5 in the head of a b-27 at 25 yards as long as I don't drink too much coffee first.

I prefer the 642 because the stainless barrel and cylinder allow for slightly less maintanence down here with all the humitidy that we have. The 60 is nice also (I have an ancient one), but I think the 642 is a much better always gun (lighter, less to snag).

I normally carry just a couple of speedstrips with mine, but you would be suprised how easy it is to carry one of the Safariland Comp 1 speedloaders. They are a good bit smaller than the HKS and are wicked fast.

With practice, what kind of accuracy can I expect?

It will keep up with you. The better you learn to hold and pull straight through on the trigger, the better your groups will become. I believe you will not be able to outshoot the 442/642 - it's that accurate.

Back