S&W 642-1 Issue

baddarryl

Hi all. Not at all to bash S&W only to chronicle the issue and report on what happens objectively. I just sent a 642-1 in for repair. Something with the cylinder is not right as it wont close properly or won't open easily because it is stuck. Revolver has had only 2 boxes of ammo through. Factory standard RN and Hornady 110gr +P.

Phone person was pleasant though it took forever to get them on the line. They sent be a label and I just received confirmation of them receiving it. We will see what happens. It is about 3 years old so the Limited Warranty will hopefully kick in as I am 99% sure I registered it with them when I bought it, but the guy on the phone couldn't confirm that.

Has anyone else seen this issue with these?

It's possible it was a simple fix as the ejection rod could have loosened up. I've seen it happen before.

Having powder (or other fouling debris) becoming trapped under the extractor ("star"), or a loosened extractor, can cause those symptoms. However, it's always a good idea to let the factory inspect the revolver to determine the cause(s) of the problem, especially if the extractor has become loosened from the ejector rod. Improperly trying to tighten them can cause problems, including over-tightening them.

Hi all. Not at all to bash S&W only to chronicle the issue and report on what happens objectively. I just sent a 642-1 in for repair. Something with the cylinder is not right as it wont close properly or won't open easily because it is stuck. Revolver has had only 2 boxes of ammo through. Factory standard RN and Hornady 110gr +P.

Phone person was pleasant though it took forever to get them on the line. They sent be a label and I just received confirmation of them receiving it. We will see what happens. It is about 3 years old so the Limited Warranty will hopefully kick in as I am 99% sure I registered it with them when I bought it, but the guy on the phone couldn't confirm that.

Has anyone else seen this issue with these?

Everything the other posters said to check, +1.

My 642 went in for service last year. Details are elsewhere on TFL. It took 3 months (-ish) to get back. Part of that was them not seeing my reply with a return FFL, so it was hung up "in shipping" for weeks. It wasn't difficult to get a live voice, but I suspect they just reported to me what the computer screen in front of them said without digging too much deeper.

Back