S&W 640 Pro Series or M&P 340 - help me choose!!!

jsferrazza

Inactive
Hey guys,

So I'm really stuck between buying a 640 Pro Series or a M&P 340 (w/o lock), and need some help deciding!

There's a lot of similarities between the two, but both of them have some distinct differences. Both have the internal hammer, no internal lock option, .357 mag, j frames, similar in price, and are both awesome guns!

The 640 Pro has the full night sights, moon clips, and upgraded looks (fluted barrel), but the M&P 340 is considerably lighter (13oz scandium-alloy vs 23oz stainless steel), has the nice black finish, and still has the big dot front sight.

Whichever I choose will be an EDC and will endure a lot of practice time at the range. I currently don't have a gun that allows pocket carry, so that would be a nice option to have with a j frame since I live in Florida and wear a suit and tie 5 days per week.

I was considering a 649, but think I have since ruled it out - now it's between the 640 Pro Series and M&P 340.

I'm stuck between the two - help me decide and tell me which one you would pick!

Does anybody have both? Any issues with jumping the crimp on the M&P 340? Trigger pull and any other comparisons on the two?

I guess the biggest question is if the lighter weight and slight bit of more concealability from the M&P 340 is worth a little more recoil, and giving up the extra features on the 640 Pro?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 178044_01_md.jpg
    178044_01_md.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 163072_01_md.jpg
    163072_01_md.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 78
2damnold4this: Even in regards to long term durability and shoot ability during practice sessions? I plan to carry either one every day, and also plan on putting in a good amount of range time with whichever one I choose.

If I'm going to carry something as heavy as the 640, it will be a more capable gun like a G26.

I carry a 342 and usually practice with light loads and try to dry fire as much as possible. The 640 will be more shootable but I found myself not carrying my model 60 because of the weight.

Give me an Airlite or Airweight with good stocks for everyday carry.

340. The mile count will far outnumber the round count, and lighter is better for that. I have a 360 (Sc frame and steel cylinder, 13ish ounces) with a high round count for the gun it is (probably 3-4k). Carry it everyday that I have long pants on (I'm LEO and it's my backup ankle gun). It looks like it's been used for a fence stretcher and drug down the blacktop behind a pickup, but it's been a good gun. Wouldn't trade it.

Anyway............ Half the weight to carry EVERY DAY vs. shooting it regularly? I will pick lighter weight every time in that scenario.

S&W 640 Pro Series or M&P 340 - help me choose!!!

My answer here is the same as my answer to the same question on the Defensive Carry forum. My 642, at 15oz empty, is the lightest revolver I think I would want to carry.

My 649 carries easily with any good holster and a decent belt. Shooting .38's is a breeze and the gun will definitely outlast me. .357's are stout, but a good grip will make them a little better.

you plan to practice alot with a 340 shooting ,357Mag? I think you"ll change your mind after 2-3 rounds,

you plan to practice alot with a 60 shooting .357Mag? I think you"ll change your mind after a cylinder or two,

I normally carry a 642 loaded with 38Spl 158gr. +P rounds, but use those +P rounds in my Model 60 as trainers and consider 50rounds as tops for the 60.

I'd like a 340 from the standpoint of carrying but would never consider it IF I planned to spend much range time with it. It's just too light for even IMHO 38Spl +P

Get a Model 60/640 to train with, a 642 /340 to carry and hope you never need to use either in ernest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, Guys.

mk70ss: Do you pocket carry it? The 640 Pro is 23 oz which just seems a little heavy for me to pocket carry, especially in suit pants.

I agree with lee and springer . I had a M&P 340 and sold it after a couple trips to the range and bought a 642 . Of your choices I would go with the 640 .

The 642 is a great revolver that is easy to carry and relatively inexpensive. The only reason I carry the 342 over the 642 is the front sight on the 342 is easy to change to something I can see.

if it's mostly for carry comfort, I'd go for the lighter, but if your going to shoot .357, carry as a fighting gun as opposed to a just in case gun I'd go for the 640..

Got to agree with the carry comfort.

My 340PD weighs almost 4 oz. less than my Model 38 Airweight and, in the pocket, it makes a difference.

I've never fired a .357 mag through it and it's tame enough with standard-velocity 38s.

I have the 640 (not the pro) and the M+P 340. I pocket carry the 340 with 158 grain .38 +P XTP/HP loads.

The heavier weight of the 640 is noticable to me with pocket carry, but not really noticable difference in recoil when shooting the 158 grain +P loads ... 900 fps with a 158 grain bullet is still a kick. The extra 1/4 inch barrel length of the 640 does not show any improved accuracy when shoot these .38 +P loads either.

you plan to practice alot with a 340 shooting ,357Mag? I think you"ll change your mind after 2-3 rounds,

you plan to practice alot with a 60 shooting .357Mag? I think you"ll change your mind after a cylinder or two,

100 percent agree! Hence I use (not often now days) a 642. See I've gone over to the dark side... Glock 42, 43, and 26.

But I still keep my S&W J frames handy.

Deaf

Back