S&W 640 in 9mm or Taurus total Ti in .38

tlhelmer

I am looking to replace my rusty old S&W .38 snubbie. I use it as back-up in an ankle holster. I am considering a stainless S&W 640 in 9mm or a Taurus titanium in .38 (ported).
I have some questions that I need answered in order to make the determination. If I could hear from people who own or have owned these weapons it would really help.
Can you shoot .38 +p in the Taurus?
How has Titanium held up as far are rust resistance?
How is the trigger action on Taurus guns?
Is the 9mm more effective (ballistic) than the .38?
Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

tlhelmer

I retail the custom 1911 and work for an FFL who specializes in the protection style handgun. So my comments are drawn from customer comments and my own observations. I caveat my remarks with "Opinions are like what I sit on, some smell worse than others."

S&W used to make a 5 shot 9mm revolver and the model number was 940. Gun uses full moon 5 shot clips. There are some still some floating around. I have one and it is an excellent handgun. I have it as a back up, back up. That is not a repeat. My other full time job is LEO, Dallas, Texas. I like it and it a very good action

The gun handles well to me with the 147 loads. The 124/5 plus p and plus p plus is a hand full but at the range to be used. OH $#!+ or less. That may not be a factor.

As far as the Taurus line of revolvers goes there is very little complaint from customers other than resale on the guns is very, very, poor and the titanium series of handguns both S&W and Taurus have a significant recoil (for all of you Florida Chad Counters that means kicks the "dog do do" out of you). Remember the laws of physics. Lighter more recoil. There is a marked trade off. Weight vs Recoil. That (increased recoil) may affect your control of the gun even at short ranges. The action of the Taurus line of revolver is satisfactory. Just keep in mind the Taurus is a production gun and not a custom gun.

As far as which is better the 9mm or 38 special that is one whole different subject.

With what your are talking here about please factor in the control factor as I caveat this way. Two hits with a Taurus .22 beat 16 misses with a Taurus 92 9mm at a range of under 5 feet (I responded to a shooting call with those results. Guess who died).

Any way be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters.

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do the research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

I have two Taurus 38 snubbies. I am very happy with both of them. One is a Total Titanium model, and the other is a Stainless Steel model. Both have the 2 inch barrel.
Recoil isn't much of a issue for me with these guns. Everyone says the kick really bad, but I don't see that they kick any harder than my .40 Sig229. Quality wise, both of my guns have been great. As for the ported barrel it is a nide feature to have, just be sure you don't shoot lead ammo as it is a pain to get the ports and front sight cleaned up. Here is a pic of my snubbies....

my2taurus38s.jpg

Back