S&W 640 grips

Bruce Banner

Does anyone know if the pachmayr grips for the 640 are any smaller than the stock 640 grips? I was thinking about trying to find some smaller grips for it, but not wooden grips. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bruce, as a self confessed grip fetishist, I have quite a collection of grips for the J frame. This has arisen out of frustration and compulsion to find the best grip. Here is the deal: no one grip is good for all situations. Especially when one is using the airweight or titanium variety. Pachmayr offers two small grips for the J's: the compac professional series is smaller than the factory supplied boot grip. This is true in both front to back dimension as well as thickness, however the pachmayr is a very dense and slightly heavier grip. Best of luck.

Bruce,

Let me urge you to give the 'no wood" caveat some further thought.

I ditched the rubber grips on my M-640 for two reasons.

(1) They added enough overall length to make pocket concealment difficult.

(2) The rubber grips stick to my clothes and make the gun print through shirts or even pockets.

Even if you do not go with the skinny old S&W J-frame grips as I din, take a good look at wooden grips that leave the backstrap exposed.

You might also consider the old J-frame grips and a Tyler T-Grip Adapter as an alternative.

Doc Hudson

Check out Hogue. They offer a rubber grip (Hogue Bantam Grips) that does not extend below the grip frame (solves Doc's length concern) and leaves the backstrap exposed. My wife is very happy with her new Hogue Monogrip that I just installed on her Taurus 85. The Monogrip is longer than the Bantam but does have a rest for the little finger.

These rubber grips may print under clothing but this is my wife's and it will be a purse or house weapon. The wood will slip better both under clothing and in the hand.

Here is a picture of the Monogrip, remember the Bantam is shorter:

dA29706.jpg

[Edited by Runner on 03-11-2001 at 05:32 PM]

The monogrip looks like what I have on it now. Do you have a picture of the Bantam grip? Is the Bantam grip a two piecer? Thanks for the info.

I have to agree with Runner about slipperiness working both for clothing and in the hand. Never been able to do good fast work with smooth wood grips because the gun was moving around in my hand. Herrets checkered stock provide a good grip but catch on clothes also and tear my skin UP.

This "sticks to clothes" phenomenon hasn't happened to me and I am curious exactly what kind of clothes the rubber sticks to.

Here's what they mean...

...loose-fitting shirts, even jackets, can sometimes hang up on the grip because of the traction afforded by the rubber.

I've had a shirt "ride up", eventually exposing the revolver; good thing it was at home. :cool:

Even if the firearm isn't exposed, it can be ID'd when the butt "prints" on the cloth.

I carried one(60/640)for 30+ yrs. and could never get the perfect grips. I also have a draw full of different styles. I'd use the wood service w/adaptor if I needed to pull it out of a hide w/o snagging, but it never felt good shooting. Tried the rubber, they felt good shooting but snagged in your pants and killed the conceability of the firearm. Finally used the service grip w/adaptor and a rubber band wrapped around the grip. Got embarresed a couple times when my pistol slid down my pants leg and clanked on the barroom floor.
Now I find the Farrar unigrip or the Final option combat grip very good. One is soft rubber but not large and the other is a nylon molded type thats smooth and slick. Also used to carry it in a brown paper bag when it was summertime hot and no where to hide. Tried just about anything that would workt that time. Just my experience HTH.

Herrett's once made the perfect grip for a j-frame, and an average size man's hand. This grip covered the backstrap rather than the front of the grip frame, and only extended to the bottom of the gripframe like today's boot grips. This design solved the problem that most men have with the very short distance to the trigger, which is the main reason that j-frames are more difficult to shoot than a k-frame. It's a simmilar problem that Bill Jordan faced with the S&W model 19 due to his extra large hands, and solved with his own design.

I finally bought the Hogue bantam grip this seems to be a really good grip and quite a bit smaller than the uncle mikes that came on it. It is a tacky grip but I don't mind it that much. Thanks, for all the info.

Retpo, do you have a pic or website for the final option grip? It is a sickness with me-just kidding.

Butler Creek

They look just like the Hogues, but are hard plastic. Hardly ergonomical, but good for CCW. .357s really really sting out of that bad boy.

Mike

Sox:
Looked up in my files, Final Option Enterprises made the grip called the Under Cover Grip. They were in Easthampton ,Ma but I can't find them now. That was in '94 or about. Brownell now sells them under Precision Gun Specialties as the Hideout Revolver Grip avaible in smooth, grooved ,textured etc. High impact nylon for $15.
Have you ever tried the Aherends j-frame exotic wood or the Eagle sectet service? I know how you feel.

Just got in some Aherends grips for my J frames and others. Put some cocabolo in almost a copper color on my model 60, with the finger grooves. This is the best feeling set of grips I have ever had, with the gun just seeming to grow out of my hand. They are also so pretty I can't keep from looking at them. If the wood feels a bit slippery, try a little bit of blue cross country ski wax, rubbed in well. This gives them a nice grab on your hand, without sticking to clothing or holsters. Blue wax works good on the leather soles of cowboy boots for waling on ice in the winter. If anybody wants my old pachmeyer for the J frame, send me an address and I'll ship em off. Gary

Just got in some Aherends grips for my J frames and others. Put some cocabolo in almost a copper color on my model 60, with the finger grooves. This is the best feeling set of grips I have ever had, with the gun just seeming to grow out of my hand. They are also so pretty I can't keep from looking at them. If the wood feels a bit slippery, try a little bit of blue cross country ski wax, rubbed in well. This gives them a nice grab on your hand, without sticking to clothing or holsters. Blue wax works good on the leather soles of cowboy boots for walkng on ice in the winter. If anybody wants my old pachmeyer for the J frame, send me an address and I'll ship em off. Gary

Retpo, guess what? Damn if I don't a pair of those PGS one is smooth and the other has finger grooves. Seriously, so far those with the grooves seem to be one of my favorites-for now anyway. I do really love these little J frames. My next pair will probably be the eagle sect.svc. I think those were the ones once offered on the 442 streetfighter.

Gives new meaning to "rotation"...

Shot .38 Spec./158g and .357 Mag/110g-125g-158g(MagTech)loads from my standard-grip M640 at the range today.

As to the latter load...ummm...ouch!

The range has eliminated the 10 yd. station, so everything was at 25 yds., but POA/POI between the heavier .38 and .357 Mag loads seemed reasonably close.

I will, however, be looking for a new set of grips. ;)

Anyone able to recommend a set of checkered wood grips that attenuate that sharp, to-the-sky rotation?

I'm a big fan of Hogue grips...a reco for them would be a big plus; but I really like the M640 package, and would entertain add'l reco's for other styles/brands.

I had put some Hideout grips on my 642 and got the chance to shoot this past weekend. I shot 50 reloads ( +P) and a box of 20 Federal personal defense ( non +P ).

These grips are smooth, you can get more of your hand around them than with the stock boot grips.

I can't tell the difference in felt recoil between standard pressure and +P ammo. They both sting, but after a couple dozen rounds, you just deal with it.

The hideouts feel real slippery, but with a good firm hold, I was able to control the gun..

my .02 worth...

Mike M.

Back