S&W 640 Grips - Feedback Please!

posigian

I finally got rid of that Glock and got myself the one I really wanted. A S&W 640-1 with boot grip. It goes real nice with my 686+

When I took the 640 to the range and put the first five rounds of 357 through it I had a semi-sore hand. What did help things was the exposed back strap. So I walked back to the counter and had the dealer put on a pair of Pachmayr compac presentation grips. What a difference! Better control and easier on the hands

What I would like to know is what some of you prefer on your J frame?

Rubber / Wood?

What conceals better?

Ps: I did do a search in the archives but came up with nothing conclusive.

The boot grip conceals better, but I put the same grip on my 342 for the same reasons you changed yours.
I prefer the rubber grips, cause when the wood grips are against my body, something in the finish makes me break out in a rash.

Mikey

I've found that the best grips for J Frame concealment are the Eagle Secret Service wooden grips. They are about as thin as any boot grip available and they're the lightest ones I've seen (1/2 oz. lighter than the Hogue Bantams). Unfortunately, they don't do anything for softening the recoil. The Bantams do a better job there.

To answer your question... I prefer rubber for shooting, wood for carrying.

Sarge55

For concealment purposes, I use Uncle Mike's "Boot Grips" in their "Santoprene" neo-rubber construction...if I want to shoot a LOT of "Plus-P" or Magnum ammo out of a J-frame OR an SP101, I'll put on the rubber Hogue "Monogrips"...MUCH more pleasant!!! FWIW, Mrs. 3-5-7's 642 "Ladysmith" wears the rubber Hogue's 24/7...but then, She could probably carry an N-frame in Her "Purse"--IF She got rid of some of the "overflow"...you know, ten pounds of sh!t in a five-pound bag!!!....mikey357

I bet I have 10-15 pairs of grips for my 342PD. Thats one thing I love about these J frames-the number of accessories available. The titaniums are a handful. I think you need different grips for different situations. For carrying you need a smaller, discreet, no stick grip. For CCW I prefer the Eagle sect.svc. or the PGS hideouts. For practice I was really happy with the pachmayr compact-not the professional, but the ones with the pinky extension. These grips were pretty heavy though-good for practice. They also covered the backstrap,which was essential. They were comfortable. Recently, I found a pair from CDNN very similar to Pachmayr, but much slimmer and lighter in weight that covered the backstrap and for only 3.99!! These by far are my favorite pair period. I will use these with a clipdraw, and that is my ccw package. Best of luck

CDNN does have some great deals. The grips you are talking about are made by Sile, whose grips were once very popular years ago. The Sile boot grip for S&W and Taurus are also more comfortable than the Uncle Mikes boot grip because they are more handfilling-also $3.99!

Back