S&W 640 Great

JerryM

The 1911 is clearly my favorite handgun. However, the last couple of trips to the range, I have taken my S&W M60 3" and my M 640 .357's. I have really enjoyed shooting them for a change, and I was again surprised at how accurate and easy to shoot they are. I admit that the loads I am using are 125 gr at from 1100 fps to 1250. The Speer GD chronograph about 1250 from my 640 which has a 21/8 inch barrel. The heaviest .357 loads, and especially the 158 grainers are too punishing.

I have found that I prefer faster burning powders than are normally recommended for the .357. AA #2 and WW 231 burn well and give the velocities I want without leaving unburned powder to get under the star.

I have a S&W 642 next to my bed, as my wife could shoot it. I don't trust her with a SA, as she won't get proficient with the SA operation. When we go on trips in our RV I also carry at least one revolver for the same reason.

I find myself carrying the 642 more than any other because it is convenient and so light. I also don't have to load and unload magazines.

I periodically read that the .357 snubbies lose so much velocity that they are no advantage over the .38 Spl snubbies, but that isn't the case. The .357 has a 400 fps advantage in my guns.

There will always be room for good revolvers in my safe.
Jerry

I concur. When it all gets written up in the history books the lil Smith Centennial will have first place for the handiest lil package ever made. I prefer the airweight, but the 640/940 stainless models are nice lil handfuls of dynamite. :cool:

My "kennel" contains many "Doberman" and "Rottweiler" sizes, but the "terrier" of the pack is my li'l 640-1. Small, cute, loveable and fierce when aroused, it is with me wherever I go.:rolleyes:

When I open the safe I have to choose from a Colt Government, Colt Combat Commander, Browning HP, S&W 686, S&W 19, and S&W 642. Guess which one rides in my pocket 99 percent of the time? The 642.

My vote goes for the brother, the M638. I hate doing roll checks on the trigger on the 640 (shudder)--like the hammer!

Back