S&W 638-3 .38SPL+P 5 shot revolver Airweight

ifithitu

I made this add to my revolvers Tuesday,I haven't fired it yet. Does anyone own one and what's your opinion on this S&W 638-3?

I have one and love it! For me its the best of both worlds, easy to carry and I can still shoot single action if I choose. It has been my primary carry for many years, I also have the stainless version 649 and its the one I like to practice with at the range. I did change the grips to a set that are a little longer for my pinky to get a grip on.

Luv mine, it's light and comfy.

Ready20Case_zpsqnngcof1.jpg

Nice Smith ifithitu!
I had a real hard time deciding between a 642 and the 638. I went with the 642 but will be adding a 638 to my collection in a couple of weeks. My 642 is like carrying my wallet in my front pocket, no difference.

carried a model 49 as a backup gun while on duty for a long time. i'm not real fond of lightweight guns, but for a do or die up close situation.... they cant be beat. the bodyguard style frame is second to none,and affords a few more tactical advantages...

ifithitu have you looked at the rifling in your barrel? Does it look it almost doesn't have rifling? I just bought a used 637 a couple of weeks ago and almost returned it because I thought the barrel was shot out.

I even called S&W and they told me it has EDC rifling cut by a laser. Here is a thread I started on my gun and in post #9 I have a couple of links with information on the rifling and the process to make it. I haven't shot my gun yet but I have read that this type of rifling is very accurate.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578896

Nice looking gun by the way.

ifititu,

I have one just like yours. It is very lightweight, comfortable and concealable. I use mine with a IWB holster or sometimes with a pocket holster. It has never snagged when drawn.

It's my "carry anywhere" piece because of it's small size and light weight.

CARRY ONE EVERY DAY. It is quite accurate and has an excellent SA/DA trigger. I can write my initials at ten yards slick as you please with it and 38-WC ammunition. Did it once at twenty-five yards just to show off to the range knuckleheads who cannot shoot 12" groups at 21'. And the funny thing about those people is most of 'em are scared of revolvers evidently...they just do not get it !!
And so it goes...

I've had a model 38 for over twenty years and a model 638 for over ten years. If you are content with 5 rounds, they are a great little revolver. With a pocket holster they are just made for the front pocket in a pair of khakis.

Some people say they are ugly but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The 638 is ridiculously easy to conceal, is lightweight and has reasonable power. I don't leave home without it.
Snubby.jpg
[/IMG]

Back