S&w 629

bfj2

I just got a S&W 629-5 Lew Horton Special 44mag 3" barrel. Does anyone have this gun and if so how do you like it? I will not be able to go to the range until tomorrow. Everyone that I have ever talked to has said that the 629 is one of the best small 44mag revolvers that you can get.

On Friday I will let you know what I think.

On a side question. What is your favorite 44mag?

I'm very interested the range report.

As far as favorites... I'm looking into Dan Wesson .44 Mags right now. Like the S&W revolvers, but not the decisions the company have made in the past.

You are gonna like your gun. Very nice choice. It is kind of on the light side as far as 44 mags are concerned, but recoil can be fun!

Make sure you take some 44 specials with you to the range too, and you wont tire out as fast.

Is your gun ported?

629 with a 6 inch barrell is my favorite 44 mag

I'll be interested in the range report as well. Does it have a ported barrel? I only have one .44mag, a 6.5 inch S&W 629 Classic DX and it's my favorite handgun. Surprized at how accurate and easy to shoot this gun is.
Ronin

Answer To Side Question-

I have a Smith & Wesson 629-5 .44 magnum Classic
with a 5" barrel; stock from the factory. This weapon
has a super smooth double action; and a very crisp
single action, without the fandangle Lew Horton
package. It's definitely a good shooter; and one
of my favorite firearm's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

No it is not ported. I am not to worried about the recoil because I can handle my Derringer Cowboy Defender 44mag. It is a SS 3" barrel with a non-fluted cylinder and beaver tailed hammer.

One of my friends has a blued 629 but his is not the Lew Horton Special. I liked his so I should be very happy with mine.

John

I was able to take my S&W 629-5 to the range yesterday. Overall this is a GREAT gun. Since it has a short 3" barrel it can be used as a carry gun. It is not ported but has a good amount of weight so the recoil is not bad at all. I am still new to shooting so I am not the best shot but getting better every time I go out. One of my friends was at the range and I let him try the gun out. He used 4 rounds all hitting center with 3 hitting dead center in almost the same hole.

Ported = No
Barrel length = 3"
Grip = wood with finger grips.
Caliber = 44mag
Weight = ??oz. heavy but not to bad to hinder carry
Carry ability = yes
Accuracy = high
Sights = adjustable
Cylinder = non-fluted
Recoil = light for a 44mag.

John

If there is anything you would like to know about the gun just ask.

Back