S&W 629 yearnings.

Keeper

I have been wanting a .44 mag S&W 629 for a long time but I will not buy one even a used model until they formally renounce their deal. I don't want to go the Ruger route for some of the same reasons. I am interested in Dan Wesson's revolvers but I hear mixed reviews. I have heard a lot of bad things about Taurus but I do not have any direct experience with them so I am not sure about the quality. Where else should I be looking other than completely customer revolvers. I am looking to spend 800 to 1000 what other options am I missing. Should I just bite the bullet and hope / wait for S&W to come to their senses? If they would just apologize and do away with the deal I would literally order or buy a 629 .44 tomorrow.

I have two Anacondas, a six inch and an eight inch. They both have very smooth actions and adjustable triggers. I think they are great. I've never owned a 629, so I'm not qualified to compare the two.

Buying a used Smith is a matter of your own personal convictions. If I knew the person I was buying one from was not going to order a new one to replace it, I would buy the used one. What you do is up to you.

You could do a lot worse than an Anaconda, that I do know.

Happy shooting.:)

....and waiting.....and waiting.....

and waiting is what I think you'll be doing as
IMHO S&W has made a decision and that's the road
they will take. I believe that the company that bought them only wanted their name, I have come to this conclusion as nothing else makes much sense.

All this said, buy a a M629 Mountain Gun 1993 or
newer. ( I believe that will be a 629-3 up.).
These guns have the elongated cylinder bolt cuts, beefed up internals and better yoke steel.
It's a DANDY, a modern classic. You can carry it,
target shoot with it and load up some 270Grn
Part.Golds and blast all manner of beasts. AND
talk about a fight stopper ! Just show it...dewey
---PS, I got my last one for $455 shipped,as new.

No flames, please

but I do have a 629-5 Classic .44 Magnum with the 5" barrel that is spectacular, in every aspect. The double action is smooth as
silk; right out of the box, but whose going to be shooting a .44
double action with full house loads, anyway?

I usually download to .44 Specials using the magnum case's.
Seems like a big ole' .38 Special. I turn back the clock and think
of folk's like Elmer Keith and Ed McGivern each time I take it to
the range.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Molon Labe!!!

Here, drool, go blind or something!

S&W629VcompHunter.JPG

Anything by another name is just an imitation!

Robert

Ala Dan
Don't worry, you won't get any flames from me. My decision is a personal one and I will not look down my nose at anyone.

Robert, if that is yours.....I hate you....Just kidding. Nice gun.

I have come close a few times to buying used but with some of them I got the sinking feeling that the person was claiming used pre deal just to make a sale. I have been trying to talk a friend out of his but he now scouls when ever I even mention it.

Damn, damn, damn Smith & Wesson for that deal!!! :( :barf:

AND they stay down.

Yes, .41Robert, that honker will put down anything
in the Great Nothwest for sure.

I guess between my Mountain and Robert's gun
you'll be able to find something that fits your needs.The Mountain comes in at 39oz. and the blaster Robert showed is 52 empty. 629s come
in 2 1/3,3,4,5,6,6 1/2,7 1/2,8 3/8s and after that
I refuse to list them as they are really rifles.
PICK ONE ! ....dewey

Double action .44 Mag? Nothing like it.

I have a 4" 629-2, without the beefier parts. It's not marked Mountain Gun because it's before that in time. It's pretty, and shoots like a dream. oh, and it's stiill tight. I shoot about 90% .44 Special. Yeah, Elmer Keith.

Regards.

Keeper, the idea of not purchasing Smith's at this point is purely symbolic. ALL the guns currently in the pipe have been bought and paid for and NONE of the funds that you pay go to either Tomkins or Safe T Hammer. Probable the largest percentage of guns (new) were purchased over a year ago through an annual commitment from a distributor. By not getting what you want only hurts yourself. The probability is going to be that S&W will fold. Instead of reasoning and talking with gun enthusiast, they have chosen to remain silent. And going forward with changes to their product as well as their policies. Just get a piece of history while you can. Unfortunately, it is the start of the ninth and there is little hope of them winning the game. They can't pay the bills selling a token amount of guns.

Robert

i used to own a colt anaconda and man what a wonderful trigger.will i be disapointed in a smiyh n wesson model 29????

I am very attached to my 3" Lew Horton, and to my 6 1/2" Power Port.

Both are excellent shooters, particularly the PP Model.

My feelings on buying S&W are that the jerk who committed to the offensive agreement is long gone, out of the reach of any impact of what may happen to the company.

I have a beautiful 629-5 Mountain Gun in .44 Mag. I bought it to carry when hiking in the mountains. When I carry it there, I use handloads, hard cast 310 grain over lots of WW296. Not only is it a good bear round, it is a bear to shoot. For CCW carry, I use the more prosaic CCI Blazer 240 grain load. I find this revolver to be perfectly controllable in double action rapid fire when using this load. This gun will group under two inches at 25 yards doing double taps. Good leather, good grips, and loose clothing make this a really good CCW weapon. Oh, lots of practice does not hurt either. I have no problem with Smith & Wesson. They can choose what ever path they desire. I do not own stock in the company, and would not. Too many bad business decisions.

scoops, the single action on the anaconda is good but you will not know what a good double action 44 feels like till you have tried a 629 that has been tuned by a good gunsmith,i have shot tuned anacondas and they do not compare for smoothness of double action trigger pull

I picked up a Mod 29-2 last week for 350.00. The pistol is like new condition and has been gone over by a smith. Theres nothing like a S&W N frame. The best revolver i've ever owned.

Hey go for it and buy a good used 629, Smith $ Wesson will not profit from the deal, so you are still living up to your principals. The 629 is a great gun, I have one from the 80s and I love mine. I agree withl you too on boycott and will buy nothing that is current production that will add one cent to their bottom line.

7th

Dont shoot its me wanted to know how to carry an N frame Smith.

Simple, first you have to be at least my size, ie, 6/2, 235lb. Second, good leather is a must. I use a Tension saddle from Andrews Leather, and third, you do not need a mumu. I wear jeans or shorts, a tee shirt tucked in, and an open shirt worn over it, usually unbuttoned. Quite common in Miami. I can hide my Smith 6" 25-5 the same way.

For extra ammo, I like the Slimloader pouch, also from Andrews Leather. It positions your speed loader so that the rounds straddle the top of your belt.

Back