S&W 629 with powerport ?

Demonvomit

I have a chance to pick up a s&w 629 classic with a 6 1/2 barrel and power port for 505.00 i cant find any smith and wesson's around here and if i can they want way too much so is this a good price for one in new cond with around 10-20rds fired through ?? is the powerport a good thing does it really work? and does a 6 1/2 in barrel with full lug help damper recoil :confused:

New ones run $550 to $600 in my experience. I've had two ( traded one in a weak moment, got another and still have it).

They were both extremely accurate, with less POI change for bullet weight change than normal in a .44 mag.

The PP thing is neither a problem, nor an advantage that I can tell.

BoB C

What size barrels did your's have ?
Do you think that a 6 1/2 in barrel is a good choice,is it practical

Do they still make this model if not when did they stop makeing them

Are they as good as the standard 629?

I havent seen the firearm yet i will head down later next week to take a look but until that is there a place on the internet that has a pic of the powerport,would you say its a good looking option?

Sorry about all the questions i just dont want to make a bad choice

Thanks

For general use, the 6 1/2" barrel is great. It's not a CCW weapon, but can be used for most anything else.

I think they are still being made; mine was NIB, and I've had it four or five months.

I've had both a 29 and a 629 6" barrel, without the full underlug, and prefer the underlug in this barrel length. Both the others were much more sensitive to changes in bullet weight than the PP model.

Last edited:
Years ago Gun Digest had an article about accuracy in 22 target pistols. That piece studied the effects of barrel weights, muzzle breaks, etc. At least with those guns the muzzle breaks tended to slightly reduce accuracy.

I have one, paid $574 new about a year ago. Very light trigger pull, very accurate. Not significant, but noticeably less recoil than from a non-ported barrel. Politics aside, I think the S & W 629PP and 686 Plus with a six inch barrel are two of the best revolvers on the market.
Dennis D. Carter

damn near bought a 6-1/2" S&W 629, but I opted for the 5" Classic!!!

my dealer had several choice's; one of which was
a 6-1/2" power-ported S&W 629. During inquiry
the salesman stated that the power-ported weapons
are O.K.; unless you are firing them at night,
then he said that the escaping gas'es will give
off an opticial illusion. Plus the port's get
full of gunk!!! So, I therefore opted for the
5" 629 Classic.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back