S&W 629 Question

Jeff Neely

Anyone have this problem with 629 Smith? The cylinder will not rotate to next round after firing. Shooting single action, the hammer will fall on the case just fired. Pulling the hammer back it will then rotate and fire fine. It only happens once in a while. I know it is not the bullets hitting the frame at the front, heavier crimp solved that with my lead load.

The load is handloaded 240 JHP with 23.5 of H110.

I don't know if it will do it double action, I dont shoot it that way.

Sounds like a hot load is sticking to the cylinder wall and binding up against the recoil shield. Or, the hammer nose bushing is backing out under recoil and binding the cylinder. Common problem in 80' vintage guns with hammer mounted firing pins. Not enough information, but does sound like you are in need of a gun smith.

Gabriel

I have not experienced this problem with
my Smith & Wesson 629-5 Classic.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Try a box of factory ammo.
If you still have the problem then you know it's the gun, if not it's your handloads.:)

Mighta buggered up the lock work when you were pullin hard against jam when your hand loads backed out and stopped the cylinder from rotatin. Be a good idea to get it checked out. Sounds like there is potential for it to fire out of time enough to open it up like a spam can.

Be safe....Sam

I had this problem with my Model 629-1.

The early 29's had a problem when firing heavy loads, say 240 gr .44 magnum and above. When the cartridge was fired, the cylinder would unlock, rotate backward and when the hammer was cocked, the fired round would be back under the firing pin.

It wouldn't happen firing lighter .44 magnum or .44 special loads. Only heavy loads.

I believe they corrected the problem in the 1990's.

I sent my pistol back to S&W, explaining the problem. They replaced the cylinder, the cylinder hand, and cylinder stop mechanism. Some other parts but I can't remember. Works like a champ now.

Try it with factory loads, say up to 300 gr. Tell them what load was used.

If hand loads rival that of an 105 howitzer, well that's a different story.

Thanks for all the help.

Fraser, I think this is the same problem as yours was.

My 629 is a -1 like yours and it will work fine with light loads and 44 special.

Mabey someone can give me an idea of the vintage of it, serial no. AYV 3XXX

I will be contacting Smith and Wesson.

jeff

A Brief History

629-1 Problems with heavy loads
629-2 Problems with heavy loads
629-2E Enhanced model, no problems
629-3 Enhanced model, no problems

and so on.

In fact it is due to the recoil. The cylinder stop disengages from recoil and the cartridge weight when the gun twists causes the cylinder to rotate backward, so the hand re-engages in the same place in the ratchet, bringing the same chamber in line. One fix that has worked is simple, but there may be complications. I would do as Fraser did and send the gun back to S&W.

Or cut down your loads. Or both.

Jim

Back