S&W 629 Mountain Backpacker

GrantLee63

I am thinking about purchasing a S&W 629 Mountain Backpacker - a gun similar to Tamara's "Flamethrower" except with a full underbarrel lug.

Anyone on this forum know of a website I could go to and check the serial number against it's year of manufacture? I want to make sure it was manufactured prior to the "Pre-Ban Agreement".

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Tamara just picked up the second editon of the Standard Catalog, maybe she can help you. I know that they have made these models for several years now. I think they were first introduced in 1996 as a limited run for RSR wholesale, so it could well be preagreement. Does it have a hammer mounted firing pin?

I wonder if Smith and Wesson would tell you if you called them?I suspect that they would since they will do it for gun owners. I think that would send them a nice message if everyone started calling them to ask if the gun that they were considering buying was made before the agreement and or not. If they say that it is post agreement thank them and tell them that you will not be buying it!

On some of the models, ser number might indicate that a gun was made a few years ago but it might not have left the factory till quite recently.

I think a neat alternate would be a new old stock 3" round butt 29. Strong, short and definately pre agreement. Quite a few of those were purchased and stashed. Either unfired or fired very little. Really cool pocket gun.

Sam

except with a full underbarrel lug

I dont believe the 629 Mountian Gun was made with a full underlug. The barrel was tapered like a 44 special to cut down on the weight.....thus the Mountian Gun. Shrouded ejector ..Yes...underlug...NO. The 629 DX and Classic came with an underlug. Not sure about the short barrel lengths in those models however.

MP-5,

You are correct that the Mountain Gun has a tapered 4" barrel, but here we are referring to the Mountain Backpacker.

Actually, GrantLee63, for the factory gun that comes closest to my "Flamethrower", look for a 629 Trail Boss (500 made for RSR, 1996-99), a 629 Combat Magnum (5000 made for Lew Horton in 1985), or a 629 Carry Comp or Carry Comp II(made for Lew Horton by the Performance Center in 1992 and 1993, respectively).

S&W Mountain Backpacker

It is indeed a Mountain Backpacker, and it does indeed have a full underbarrel lug. I couldn't resist - I picked it up on Thursday, and am planning a range session with it this coming Friday.

Thanks to all for you help .....

The Mountian Backpacker...ahh.. Yes the Mountian Backpacker!!:confused:

Tamara, I stand corrected. Cant keep up with the Smith of the week.

;)

Range Report Coming ....

Stay tuned - I will post a range report on the Backpacker, as well as the 2 1/4" SP101 that I picked up along with it. BTW, I ordered a HighNoon Mr. Softy IWB holster for the SP101, and a PWL 120TS for the Backpacker. THANKS TAMARA !!!!! :D

Back