S&w 629-5

bfj2

I was wondering what a good price for a S&W 629-5 Leu Horton Speachal (i dont think I am spelling the name correct). It is a 44mag 3" barrel and the cylinder is different because is does not have the groves between rounds. Leu Horton was one of the manufatuers for S&W that was so big that from time to time they would ask S&W if they could make a gun to there specification. I am thinking about getting the gun because it is a very unique gun that is no longer made, the shortest barrel in 44mag (except for my derringer) and that I love 44mag.

If anyone knows a good price or any other info on this gun I would love to know.

I was just looking at the post "Finally: a used Mountain Gun." by lendringser and it looks really close to the 629-5. They have the same grip but the 629-5 is in 44mag and the cyliner does not have the groves. also by the loos of it they also both have the same beaver tail hammer.

I sold a 3" S&W 629 a while ago ...

for $500. This gun is a neat novelty, but the 3" tube just doesn't do the 629 justice. You're much better off with at least a 4" barrel and the 5" model is the best balanced IMHO. If you need a light packer, get the MG -- the .44 Mag version is the same as your Lew Horton gun but with the tapered 4" 624 barrel. And the fluted cylinder on the MG is just as strong as the unfluted one on the 3 incher.

A used Smith N-frame in good condition is worth around $450 in my book, but don't expect to get that deal now that S&W's name is mud and the preagreement prices seem to be going up. Most folks are asking $525-$550 for a good used N-frame. YMMV.

Back