S&W 629 3" Question...

Big Dog Dad

I tried posting this on a couple of other forums with no luck. I have this insane desire for a 629 3". Don't know why, maybe it's a need for a lot of noise and a bright flash. Can someone tell me the difference between the 629 Packer and the 629 Backpacker? Are there any other variations available besides the 3" V-comp that I have looked for but can't find in the S.W. Pa area? Are there any that you would recommend or any that I should absolutely stay away from.

I have a 3" 629-4 which was distributed by Lew Horton around '97 or '98. It came from the factory with Spiegel wooden grips, and has an unfluted cylinder.

It shoots fine with 210 grain Silvertips, or equivalent ( or lighter) reloads. With full loads and 240 grain bullets, it's a handfull.

629 3" Mountain Backpacker

I recently bought a S&W 629 Mountain Backpacker. Mine has a 3" barrel with a full length underbarrel lug, and fluted cylinder.

Everybody needs a 3" .44 mag - The coolness factor warrants it !

I have a 629-1 3" Mag-Na-Ported gun.

Shoots well; I managed to get 3 *CLANGs!* out of 3 shots on a falling pepper popper with Georgia Arms 240gr.

I have the 3" magna-ported Trail Boss version. I use it as a "pillow gun" in bear country. My shooting partner's chrono measured 320 gr. Cor Bon hardcasts at an average of about 1075 fps. Even if it doesn't kill 'em, they'll be deaf and hairless!

I had one and it was a cool piece. Shooting it in an indoor range was not a pleasant experience. I swear the earmuffs clapped together when I fired it. Outdoors, it was not bad to shoot. I finally replaced the 3" barrel with a 4".
It is a waste loading it with .44 Specials -- better to use a Charter Bulldog.
The revolver got traded after the agreement.
ML

Back