S&W 617 owners: 4" or 6" barrel?

G23

Which do you have/prefer and why? Also, could anyone explain the differences in all the variations: 17, 18, 617, k22, etc..? I'd like to pick up a used one sometime soon and would appreciate any help in finding the right one. Also, are there ones with different ammo capacities. Thanks in advance for any info.

G23
I use mine 617 for bulls eye shooting, and prefer the model with 6" barrel. I also use it for training in other diciplines, where I compete with a S&W 586, you know same size and weight. With the right ammo in the 617, you can shoot (almost) one hole groups from a Ransom Rest.
/PBe

I will try to explain the terminology used by S&W. In the begining, Smith & Wesson designed the "K-22 (meaning K frame, and .22 caliber) as the "Combat Masterpiece". The
model was introduced with a 6" barrel. A few years later
and at the demand of public out-cry, they decided to bring
upon the scene a 4" barrel model, designated the model 18.
Then with newly found knowledge that stainless steel could
be used in handguns (in 1965), Smith & Wesson introduced the
same basic design with it's model designation being 617. The
figure 6 is for stainless steel construction; and the 17 is
for the famed "Combat Masterpiece". Likewise, the 317 is of
Titanium construction, and is Smith & Wesson's newest "kid
on the block". All this is probably confusing to anyone new
to the "GunWorld"; but I hope this helps some.:):D All of these weapons chamber the .22 Long Rifle cartridge.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Close, but...

Actually, the Model 17 was the "Masterpiece" and came with the 6" barrel and target (Patridge) sights. The Model 18 was the "Combat Masterpiece" and came with 4" barrel and a ramp front sight. My K-22 happens to be an early Model-18. At least that's how I understand what I've read.

I have a 6" 617 with the 10 shot S/S cylinder and it is a great revolver. It is great for an all around shooter but some would probably say it is heavy/front heavy and wish for a 4" barrel. I shoot lots of N frames revos so the weight doesn't bother me and I like the longer sight radius. Mine has provben to be very accurate. One of the first things I did was to put it in my Ransom Rest and tested a bunch of ammo. It shoots the cheaper stuff pretty good and when the quality goes up, the groups get tighter.

Thanks riverdog, I stand corrected.:D:) Riverdog is absolutely correct; the K-22 was introduced simply
as the "Masterpiece", as the word "Combat" came with
the advent of the model 18. I guess I'm gett'in old
and forgetful?:eek::rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I have a model 617 with a 6" barrel. I also have a model 17, blued with a 4" barrel. Smith started making the M17 in 4" after the M18 was discontinued. For target shooting it's easier to shoot the 6" accurately, but I actually prefer 4" guns.

Ron

Ala and Riverdog,

Almost. The original K-22 was the Masterpiece, in six inch. Came out long before the model number bit started (1931). Then followed the Combat Masterpiece (1949) in four inch with a ramped front sight (actually intended to be either a "companion" piece or a practice gun for the K-38 Combat Masterpiece). About 1957 S&W went to model numbers and the K-22 Masterpiece became the Model 17 while the K-22 Combat Masterpiece became the Model 18. I have one of each, pre-model number five screw versions. Wonderful little guns and a joy at the range. (although feeding them at the range makes me think a M617 with a 10 shot cylinder might be useful).

sw627pc - Close, but no cigar. The original K22, introduced in 1931 was called the Outdoorsman. I've had one since I was a kid. The Masterpiece title came later on.

As for barrel lengths, I like a K22 with a 6 inch barrel. Got two of 'em so I must like them. If I want to go to a shorter tube like a 3.5 or 4 inch, personally I'd get a J frame instead of the K, less bulk make sense for me with a shorter tube, at least as far as rimfires go. But that's me. Seems like K22s and 6 inch barrels were made for each other. If someone gifted me a 4 inch K22 I wouldn't turn it down

PBe wouldn't the 4" 617 be closer in wieght to your 6" 586. The long 6" barrel with that tiny .22" hole sure is heavy. In fact the 6" 617 use to be the heaviest gun S&W made, heavier than the big 8" N Frame. -- Kernel

GoodGuy,

Quite correct. I should have said the first "Masterpiece", not the first K-22.

I love the six inch gun for basic shooting. But the four inch is a great "practice" gun for DA shooting with the bigger calibers. (also a lot of fun that way, but boy does it go through a cylinderfull FAST! ;) )

Back