S&W 5944DAO

Jeff #111

Before I begin I need to advise those who are reading this post that I have no intention of carrying this pistol. My "real-world" handguns are the GLOCK 45 and 19. No need to lecture me about carrying an old and obsolete handgun. ;)

I like the S&W pistols. The old Gens 1-3 that is. I own a 4586, 4516-1 and a 4513. As of this evening I now own a 5944 as well. Smith only made this model from 1991 - 1992; back during that time that Smith was going through it's "Gun of the Month" phase The slide is blued carbon steel and the lower receiver is an aluminum alloy that has a dark blue painted finish(or something like that). It's a double action only ,like my 4586, and is chambered for 9mm. It was part of an auction and I was able to drive over to the auction company and check it out. It's in excellent shape both mechanically and cosmetically. I suspect, from the lack of wear patterns, that whoever bought it put it away in a safe and possibly never fired it. I won the bid at $495 which I am very pleased with considering how crazy the market is. Especially here in southwestern Idaho, where the stores are having a heck of time keeping up with the demand. Though relatively rare it doesn't seem to be in great demand and that's ok with me. I've always liked the blued steel autos and they aren't easy to find. A few photos from the auction.

Attachments

• img (1).jpg
    img (1).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 89
  • img (3b).jpg
    img (3b).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 63
Nice find !! I'm a huge fan of gen3 S&W autos, hard to find any near me anymore. Mine have all been 100% reliable and I'd consider them far from obsolete.
Anyway, congrats on the new-to-you 5944 !!

"No need to lecture me about carrying an old and obsolete handgun."

Sure... the 5944 is obsolete...

I guess that means I'm really a dinosaur for carrying a revolver...

I'd be more than happy to switch over to a semi-auto if I could fine a DAO that I really liked.

Sure... the 5944 is obsolete...

I guess that means I'm really a dinosaur for carrying a revolver...

I'd be more than happy to switch over to a semi-auto if I could fine a DAO that I really liked.

I carry Glock because I'm a cop. The G19 was (2005-2021) and now the G45 is my issued handgun. I purchased the G19 from my agency because it was issued to me NIB in 2013. I know it, I like it and the G19 is an easy CCW handgun. I like the G45 as well. Carrying the same gun off-duty that I carry on duty makes sense to me. I sneered at the Glock for a longtime, but the past sixteen years cured me of that. It's a good design that is reliable; a good solid tool. However what really interests me and gets the bulk of my money isn't Gaston Glock's product. I collect revolvers (Colt, S&W, Ruger) and the occasional "old" semi-auto pistol. I just put that disclaimer up first because in the past I've drawn the ire of tactical gurus when I've been showing off my latest old gun acquisition.

"Carrying the same gun off-duty that I carry on duty makes sense to me."

You're right, it makes sense.

My only complaint was the concept that the DAO Smith, or any DAO for that matter, could be considered to be obsolete.

I agree with you, but you know there are those who believe if a pistol design is older than 2015 it's obsolete. I've had to remind a few of the younger officers at work that the Glock was introduced in 1982 and that they (the younger officers) were born in the mid-Nineties. So the Glock isn't as "cutting edge" as they think. They didn't know that. :D

I am more than content to continue carrying my S&W 3953. I have a couple of Glocks I purchased from my old department, but only carry the G19 when I'm forced to go to Baltimore. I'd prefer a Remington 870, but it might draw attention.

A S&W 6906 doesn't feel like a grapefruit inside your pants, and at least in 9mm-Landia anyway it gets you to the same place. :rolleyes:

I’ve had enough rangetime with an NYPD surplus 5946 DAO to know that the trigger doesn’t work for me. If you can maintain good trigger control with your 5944 to shoot it accurately, then you are probably a good shooter to begin with! Good Luck & keep us posted with a range report.

May be an old design but I would not hesitate depending my life on one in a heartbeat. Has one of the smoothest DAO triggers, too.

What's funny is that S&W introduced the DAO in 1990. GLOCK was introduced in 1982. So the S&W design is actually newer.

mk70ss
The S&W DAO and Glock striker fire systems are completely different with almost nothing in common.

The point I was trying make is that there are those who have a tendency to treat anything that isn't a Glock as being old, obsolete or ineffective. As if all gun designs stopped after Gaston introduced his pistol for the Austrian military trials in 1982. Sorry should have provided more explanation and not been so understated.

Back