S&W 586/686 v. 625

Status
Not open for further replies.

BULaw

I am considering a 4 inch S&W 586/686 or a 625 as a home defense house gun. I won't do any handloading. I won't be using either for CCW. I would be shooting .38+P ammo in the 586/686, not .357 magnum. Anyone with knowledge of either of these models could you comment on the accuracy, trigger pull, "felt" recoil, and overall impressions? Please be specific when possible: group sizes @ certain distances, etc.
Thanks

------------------
God Bless America

You wont find much difference in the trigger pull. The 586/686 is smaller framed and consequently an easier gun to handle. Recoil shouldn't be a lot different either, because with the 625 you'll probably be shooting a heavier bullet, in a heavier gun. Also with the 586/686 you'll always be able to use 357's for more power, if you decide you need it.Reddog

Something else to consider: Unless you are using .45 auto rim, you can't perform a tactical reload. Almost all of the best factory defense loads are in .45 ACP. This means you have to utilize either half or full moon clips. Hence no tactical reloads. On the plus side, It's the fastest speed reload you can have in a revolver. It's a great pin gun though.

My 686 with 6" barrel has very little recoil using regular .38 loads, less than a 9mm.Can`t comment on +p loads. If you want more oomph, throw some magnum loads in it. Even with magnums, recoil is not that bad.

With 4" groups at 25 yards, I`m sure it can shoot better than me.

I recently bought a 686+ with 6" barrel and agree with Volky that .38 special rounds give very ligh recoil. I have also shot the Federal .38 +P and found it a very easy round to fire. The Winchester 110 gr. .357 round had more recoil and muzzle blast, but not painful. Being alittle recoil sensitive, I found the Federal 158 gr. JHP .357 a bit stout. In a 4" 586 I think the .38 +P would be a comfortable and effective round for home defense.

Both the 686 and the 625 are excellent. I've owned both and been very pleased; I sold my 686 in a moment of weakness and the new owner frequently reminds me of what a great gun he got.

As far as accuracy goes, either gun should be able to put a full cylinder into 2" at 25 yards with the right load. With most defensive ammo, 4" groups at 25 yards should not be a problem.

But I'd be more concerned with practical accuracy than with mechanical accuracy. If you don't have big hands, you'll shoot better with the 686 because the shorter trigger reach allows better leverage. I have average-sized hands and I can clear a table of bowling pins with my 625 in reasonable time, but if I have to shoot one-handed, the 625 doesn't have the comfy "extension of the arm" feeling that the 686 does.

Another advantage of the 686 is that practice ammo is cheaper; .38 Special ammo sells for about 15% less than comparable .45 ACP ammo. With the 686+, you can get seven shots in the cylinder versus six for the 625.

The 625 does have the advantages of being a little more intimidating and a good deal quicker to load and unload with moon clips. True, you can't do a "tactical reload", but in a home defense scenario you shouldn't need to conserve ammo.

Greetings; If it were me, I would take an
older model Smith & Wesson N-frame 27 or
28; as opposed to the 586/686. It's just
me, but I like the large N frame revolver's
better than the L frame. My second choice
would be the excellent Model 19/66 K-frame
Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum.

------------------
Ala Dan

If your hand is big enough to grip it comfortably the S&W Model 625 is an outstandimg revolver. If you use the fullmoon clips it is probably the fastest revover to reload. That's an outstanding featurein a defensive handgun.

My 686 ranks as my second favorite gun to shoot. I have to state though, that I have little experience with revolvers. The only other ones I've shot have been a 629 w/6" bbl, and a 29 with a 3" mag-na-ported bbl. The 686 fits my hand to a tee, and the first time I had it out I put 6 magnums in 4 inches at 25 yards. Even with the magnums it is still a very pleasant gun to shoot, although I haven't shot it with any .38, so I'm really in no position to opine on that one. Just make sure you get the rubber grips. (wooden grips on a 29 fairly shout their presence every time you pull the trigger)

You can have a 586/686 or 686 converted to moon clips. I just took my new Performance Center 627 out to the range for the first time yesterday for the moonclip experience and will now convert my 686 plus. If you have prepared a few moonclips they are definitely nice for quick reloads. Moonclips are not fun to load and unload without a couple of helper tools, but the 586/686 or 686 plus can be loaded manualy or with a slower speedloader as well.

No one has pointed out that there are 2 calibers in the 625--.45 colt and .45 ACP/AR. The original poster didn't specify caliber, just Model #.

As far as the size of the guns go, the round butt format of the current production guns and grips which allow for an exposed backstrap allow me to use the N framed guns in DA mode without difficulty, whereas the older style factory grips and square gripframes precluded that without modification. While the K/L frames are perfect for me, the N frames are also useable for me now. In that aspect, the two models are more or less a toss-up.

Ten years ago I purchased a 586 for use in a class. I never have looked back and to this day it remains my favorite .357. I find the extended extractor housing to add a wonderful balance to the gun and the trigger was sweet right out of the box. If I had it to do over again I'd probably get the 686 as it is easier to clean.

I have popped a LOT of 38spl through it and have never been unhappy. It also handles the heaviest 357s with applomb.

In short, I love this revolver and I could not have asked for better. I tried it side by side with the lead-instructor's python, and would have taken mine if I was given a chance to take either of them home.

Dad got a 686 in 4 inch a couple years ago and at that time they were still doing it right. My group s with his could easily be covered with a half dollar....

I do not give rec's but I do share my opinion and the 5/686 series has impressed me a great deal...

------------------
One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm, and three or more become a congress. - attributed to John Adams

Stop by my site: http://www.memorableplaces.com

Get a 686 - They're SWEEEEEET !

;)

------------------
10-27 I'm getting some Brand New G22 .40 / G31 .357 Glock Mags (FML) in about 2 weeks. $75 each and free shipping. Email me if interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back