S&W 547 9mm revolver

wayne

Just posted the other question about the Ruger MM. How about the S&W 547 MM. I've read quite a bit about these. Found one of these locally, NIB, though I have not seen it.

How sensitive is the extraction system ? Will it hold up to speed loading, like in IDPA shooting ? As I've searched the archives here, it seems a few people complained of extraction problems.

Thanks,

I owned a the three inch, round butt version of this gun back in the mid 80s. I traded it and some cash for a CZ-75, which was a mistake even though the CZ was a fine, reliable gun.

The 547 was a great shooting gun. The extractor design was very reliable and HKS made a speed loader for it then. The great thing about the extractor is that if the first extraction doesn't get every empty, the extractor paws retract into the extractor rod so that a stubborn case can be removed on the second stroke. Anyone who has ever had a .38 SPL case hung under the extractor star on a revolver with a full lenght ejector rod will appreciate this. (I prefer ejector rods that are slightly too short for full ejection v. those that are long enough to allow an empty to jam the gun).

I think that ballistically, the 9 mm is the perfect cartridge for a k-frame sized revolver. It's short cased efficiency provide near .357 ballistics with much less recoil and flash.

My 547 was a great gun. If I could find another one I would buy it in a minute.

The 547 is a very good gun. The extractor system is extremely efficent and dependable. I do not think it would be a good competition gun without speedloaders.
For the 9mm round, it is a good target round and that is it's limits. It does not even match the 38 special let alone the 357 magnem in preformance, power or capability. That is why many Police Depts are leaving the 9mm in droves. I have seen more than one article by the firearm manfacturers stating that any round below the 38 special is a poor defense caliber. The only way the small rounds are good is in the hands of an expert marksman.
I would also question the 547 as a good carry gun because of it's complex mechanisms compared to a 940 revolver using moon clips. The moon clips are also faster. The 9mm in a revolver does give you a little more power than in a autoloader, but not enough to match a 38 special.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!

For the 9mm round, it is a good target round and that is it's limits. It does not even match the 38 special let alone the 357 magnem in preformance, power or capability.

Ummm. Last I checked, 9mm is a lot closer to .357 Magnum than it is to .38 Special. +P or +P+ 9mm loadings leave .38 spl in the dust. This isn't to say that .38 isn't a fine cartridge, but anyone who can read a ballistics table can see the gap between .38 and 9mm. :eek:

The 9mm in a revolver does give you a little more power than in a autoloader, but not enough to match a 38 special.
I'd always been led to believe that the barrel/cylinder gap in a revolver saps velocity relative to an auto with a barrel of equal length... :confused:

S&W MAN: What have you been smoking? The best .38 Special+P is maybe equal to a standard velocity 9x19, most are sub 9mm. In a snubbie .357 shooting 110 grainers you have the equivilent of 9mm ballistics.

The 547 is a good gun as per the other posters and the extraction system is excellent. Possible problems for competition are heavy trigger(stronger than usual spring for hard European primers, the gun was designed for the French) and the short hammer spur(to prevent cutting up hand do to recoil peculiar to this model). Gun is a good shooter and a collectable due to small number made (approx. 10,000) but IMHO there are better guns for competition.

I don't know what you are thinking S&Wman. The 9 mm easily outperforms a .38 spl, even in the heavier bullet weights--9mm 147 gr. 900-1000fps v. .38+P 140 or 158 gr. 800-900. When you compare 9mm+p 115gr & 124 gr.to .357s 110 & 125, there is hardly any difference. In fact, I will bet that there is virtually NO difference between the velocity of ammo from the same manufacturer should you compare velocities of a 124 gr. 9mm fired from a 3 inch model 547, and a 125 gr. .357 fired from a 3 inch model 65. Part of this is because the short 9mm cartridge effectively adds another 1/2 or 5/8 inches in barrel length due to S&W using a .357 length cylinder in the 547.

Wayne,

May I ask what they are asking for the 547, and is it the 3 or 4 inch barrel?

As I said in my email I bought one in excellent condition last month, and I wouldn't mind having another.

Speed loading is not the forte of my 547, as the extractor segments can protrude into the chambers just enough to interfere with cartridge insertion. I simply pull the extractor rod forward while loading, but that might not be practical in competition. It's possible mine has a weak extractor return spring, but I've not handled another to compare.

You might want to go with a Ruger for loading speed?

Bill

love my 547, but when using hot loads i sometimes have trouble ejecting the shells. mine is the 4 inch. i changed the grips. other wise it is a great shooter.

Thanks for all the info.

Bill, tried to return your email to me, but it was rejected, but it will try more automatically, I'd be curious if you get it. The 547 he has is NIB, and 4", don't know exact price.

Wayne,

Don't know why that email address isn't working, but I just updated the email address in my profile, so you can try the new one.

Bill

I have a question for all of you S&W 547 shooters.

Mine shoots about 3" low at 50', using both my handloads, and PMC 115gr FMJ ammo. Is this typical of that model, or something pecular to my revolver?

A sight mount is on order, so I can check the accuracy using my red dot sight, but the low POA bothers me.

Bill

Try using 124 gr. bullets or make your 115s go slower. If all else fails, file that front sight down a little.

Its been 15 years, but as I remember, my 547 shot 115s very well an I was shooting mostly 115s then.

Ellsworth, Ron,

Thanks for the info.

My reloads are 124gr lead Oregon Trail, and 115gr Rainier Ballistics copper plated, both clocking a tad over 1100 fps.

I'm looking for some 147gr bullets to try, and will also drop the velocity of the 124gr lead loads next time around.

Bill

Back