S&W 500 compensator configurations/effectiveness

TxFlyFish

Was wondering if anyone who has tried a few of these could educate me on the different compensators and why they prefer one (fixed, interchangeable, pc, no comp) over the other. Lead vs jacketed, recoil reduction effectiveness, loudness /obnoxiousness, ease of cleaning

I am gravitating toward the fixed 8 3/8 model, it’s cheaper, better looking and probably (?) a bit more civil to the folks next bay. This is one of the few modern revolvers I’d willing to give a try. Please advise thank you.

I have experience with the XVR in that barrel length. However, that experience is with .460 S&W Magnum. I mostly shoot the 200-grain flex-tips. It's not a 500 but it's still a ridiculous amount of power for a handgun. It's a boat-load of fun and I'd guess much less punishing than the 500. At this level, the compensator, cushy grips, and weight of the revolver all work marvelously to mitigate recoil. (To give you an example, I find .460 more enjoyable to shoot in the XVR than I do .454 Casull in a Redhawk.)

I've only shot jacketed ammo and I've only used the compensator they include for that. It works just fine. It gets dirty but no more than I'd expect. It's relatively easy to clean. It's very loud but I don't know how much difference the compensator really makes in that. It's still a revolver. It's still a potent little explosion. It's still a big supersonic projectile. Perhaps the most interesting thing about shooting it, besides what it does to water jugs and the like, is feeling the blast wave with your body as you do. It's different than a lot of other kinds of shooting.

I have experience with the XVR in that barrel length. However, that experience is with .460 S&W Magnum. I mostly shoot the 200-grain flex-tips. It's not a 500 but it's still a ridiculous amount of power for a handgun. It's a boat-load of fun and I'd guess much less punishing than the 500. At this level, the compensator, cushy grips, and weight of the revolver all work marvelously to mitigate recoil. (To give you an example, I find .460 more enjoyable to shoot in the XVR than I do .454 Casull in a Redhawk.)

I've only shot jacketed ammo and I've only used the compensator they include for that. It works just fine. It gets dirty but no more than I'd expect. It's relatively easy to clean. It's very loud but I don't know how much difference the compensator really makes in that. It's still a revolver. It's still a potent little explosion. It's still a big supersonic projectile. Perhaps the most interesting thing about shooting it, besides what it does to water jugs and the like, is feeling the blast wave with your body as you do. It's different than a lot of other kinds of shooting.
Thanks! Just what I needed to make decision. XVR or 500 tough call though:)

Back