S&W 460 XVR

LineStretcher

Ran across the one I wanted in a LGS and had to have it. Just ordered the base, rings and Leupold VX3 2.5x8 handgun scope for it. With a point blank range of 200 yards it will be a great hunting pistol. It will shoot the S&W 460 Magnum, 454 Casull and 45 Colt.
a441acbbc0c8a090c7a9ef36f3dece65.jpg

Beautiful hand cannon!! Shot the same gun last fall, certainly know your touching something off but absolutely one of the best shooting guns I have had my hands on.

Beautiful hand cannon!! Shot the same gun last fall, certainly know your touching something off but absolutely one of the best shooting guns I have had my hands on.
Thanks, I'm taking it out tomorrow morning and run some 454 Casull through it. I couldn't find any 460 S&W today but I have some on order.

Congrats on the new toy. While they are scary accurate(at least mine is), I don't know iffin' I would claim "point blank" at 200 yards. I see you reload.......the .460 is definitely a reloader's handgun. No reason to shoot anything but .460 cases in it then.

Congrats on the new toy. While they are scary accurate(at least mine is), I don't know iffin' I would claim "point blank" at 200 yards. I see you reload.......the .460 is definitely a reloader's handgun. No reason to shoot anything but .460 cases in it then.
The point blank isn't my claim, it's Smith and Wessons. I'll wait until my scope arrives to see how true it might be.

Hickock45 said it pretty well. He say's if you buy this gun, shoot 460 Mags because there are other gun's that shoot the other cartridges better. I live a way's from town and was with friends so a search of all the gun stores in town yesterday just didn't work out. I have to go back into town next week so I'll give it another go then.

And what luck, Optics Planet has the "DeSantis Black Mamba Right Hand Black Holster M40BA05Z0 - S&W 500 8 3/8in." on sale for $75. It says it's for the 500 but I suspect it would fit the 460 also. They're both X-frame guns. Maybe someone here could confirm that.
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/desan...MI8rGvut2E4QIVQ7XACh23MAlhEAQYBCABEgIsI_D_BwE

There's also a Galco model at Midway but it's $185.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...MI8rGvut2E4QIVQ7XACh23MAlhEAQYAiABEgK_o_D_BwE

I've always thought holsters are one of the most frustrating things to buy.
Good luck.

And what luck, Optics Planet has the "DeSantis Black Mamba Right Hand Black Holster M40BA05Z0 - S&W 500 8 3/8in." on sale for $75. It says it's for the 500 but I suspect it would fit the 460 also. They're both X-frame guns. Maybe someone here could confirm that.
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/desan...MI8rGvut2E4QIVQ7XACh23MAlhEAQYBCABEgIsI_D_BwE

There's also a Galco model at Midway but it's $185.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...MI8rGvut2E4QIVQ7XACh23MAlhEAQYAiABEgK_o_D_BwE

I've always thought holsters are one of the most frustrating things to buy.
Good luck.
Yes, they are both X (Extra Large) Frames and that holster would work. I have Galco's for a couple of my other revolvers. They get the job done. I discovered that LAG is not too far from me and I can take my guns to them and they will make me a Kydex holster custom fit to my gun and me. I had one made for my Glock 45 and it was outstanding so I had one made to fit my Kimber Custom II with it's RMR and it came out perfect. Once I get this scoped I'll take it to them and we'll figure out what will work best in a hunting environment.

Nice 460! How are you mounting the leupy?
Leupold make a base for it and then you just use their 1" standard rings. You have to remove the rear sight and then the base fits in the same screw holes so no drilling and tapping.

Congratulation on your new revolver.

While they shoot flat with 200 grain bullets compared to other handgun cartridges, that does not true for the heavier more common hunting bullets typically used.

I would only use 460 brass and load to your desired level in lieu of shooting the other cartridges as the free bore is excessive with the shorter cartridges resulting in accuracy issues at distance.

I hunt with mine every chance I get.

Enjoy and be safe
Ruggy

While they shoot flat with 200 grain bullets compared to other handgun cartridges, that does not true for the heavier more common hunting bullets typically used.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Mine likes a 300g (Speer 3974) bullet the best. I have shot up to and including 400g hard cast bullets over maximum charges of w296 and it's just as accurate as with the lighter bullets. The 325 Swift A-Frame is a dandy too.

As with any handgun, different bullet weights will shoot to different points of aim due to barrel travel time.

Note the XVR comes with a second muzzle break recommended for hard cast bullets over the one installed from the factory which is best for jacketed.

I have close to 1000 hand-loads through my XVR and I've never a single issue with the gun.

I recently took the hated lock system out but I hadn't had any issues even with the 400g loads.

Make sure you crimp your hand-loads very tight.

Have fun with your new toy.

I understand that the leupold base takes two rings will that clamp the bigger scope ok?
The mount is designed for a handgun scope. You want to use a handgun scope because of it's 15" eye relief. If you use a standard scope you would need an extended front ring (not sure who makes one). You would also only have a 3-3-1/2" eye relief. I wouldn't shoot it like that.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Mine likes a 300g (Speer 3974) bullet the best. I have shot up to and including 400g hard cast bullets over maximum charges of w296 and it's just as accurate as with the lighter bullets. The 325 Swift A-Frame is a dandy too.

As with any handgun, different bullet weights will shoot to different points of aim due to barrel travel time.

I don't think ruggyh is saying heavier bullets aren't as accurate as the 200gr, I think he's just sayin' they don't shoot as flat and thus S&W's claim that sighting in @200 yards will make for a "dead on" hold from 50-250, not applicable.

I too like the Speer Deeps Curl 300 grainers. POI from the same POA @ 50 yards difference with them, as opposed to the 200 gr factories, iffin I remember correctly, is about 12". I sure this is mostly from barrel dwell and recoil.

While the 200 grainers are easy to shoot and accurate as heck, they didn't perform well terminally on deer size game for me......especially at close range.

The .460 is unlike any of my other revolvers when it comes to shooting it. One can be well experienced shooting magnum revolvers and not have a clue about what to expect from the .460......until you actually pull the trigger. The concussion from the muzzle blast alone can be like a getting a shot of adrenaline. Not only does the shooter need good ear protection, but so does everyone else in the immediate area. Even when hunting, good ear protection is a must. Shoot a .460 inside a box blind without ear protection and odds are, you will never hear the same again. I use a quality electronic muff when I hunt with my .460 and have gotten so I use the same with the .44s and .357s.

I don't think ruggyh is saying heavier bullets aren't as accurate as the 200gr, I think he's just sayin' they don't shoot as flat and thus S&W's claim that sighting in @200 yards will make for a "dead on" hold from 50-250, not applicable.

Oh, nevermind then. ;)

Hickock45 said it pretty well. He say's if you buy this gun, shoot 460 Mags because there are other gun's that shoot the other cartridges better.

He is entertaining and if he means that you can get something lighter that shoots 45 Colt and 454, okay. However if he means you can easily find revolvers more accurate, that is a steeper hill to climb.

He is entertaining and if he means that you can get something lighter that shoots 45 Colt and 454, okay. However if he means you can easily find revolvers more accurate, that is a steeper hill to climb.
I think that was what he was saying. He rambles a lot but I thought he made a good point. Why buy a 460 and then shoot 45 Schofield's or even 45 LC. I personally think that this is just about as good as it gets for a production 454 or 460 hand gun.

I had it out this afternoon and although I didn't have any 460 rounds I did have 454 and 45 Colts. It shot those amazingly well. Going from memory and comparing it to my old and sold .500, this is the hands down winner. I love the way I can get right back on target with it and how easy it is to steady up.

Back